Dutchmen's Breeches, Damselflies and Dragonflies

A few recent snapshots from local woods and waters. Taken with D70 and Nikon 200 macro f4 with SB-800 slight fill.
My best,
Jerry S

19772567-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

15513848-L-1.jpg

15513850-L.jpg

That is one sweet combination Jerry. Very nice images. I can't wait to get out and try my 70-200 + 500D.

Those are great, Jerry. Crystal clear and great dof. I love the way the water color compliments the damselfly's.

I've been considering the 200 Micro - I think your shots have pushed me over the edge.

Thanks for the comments. Still trying to work things out from film to digital, i.e. postprocessing and all of that.
Frank, I frequently use my Nikon 80-200 2.8D zoom with a reducer ring and the Nikon 5T diopter and am really pleased with the results (not so much with the 6T however). I know that the 500D is as good or better, so you should get excellent results. This setup certainly allows greater freedom for composition, expecially on quick moving bugs and the like. Also very good on still plant life (which moves more than one would think!!). I like the working distance with this setup and also with the Nikon 200mm Macro f4. Never seemed to have enough with my 105 macro, although a great lens.
My very best
Jerry S

Fill flash setting

Hi Jerry,

Great shots especially of the dragonfly!

What settings do you use for the SB800 fill flash? Is it off camera too?

Regards,
Jonathan

Settings for fill flash for dragonflies

Jonathan,
Although fill flash is not off camera, it is mounted on a RRS portrait package flash bracket setup. I have discovered, at least for me, that using the SB 800 in TTL mode rather than TTL BL mode with either a Sto Fen diffuser or with the power cut back to as much as minus 3 depending upon the conditions. I typically shoot in manual mode so this defeats the purpose of the i ttl I suppose. If I don't cut back on power of the flash, then I underexpose -2 or so in manual mode. My attempt is to get just enough fill flash for it not to show but to fill out some shadow areas. CAUTION!!,\ I should warn you that if I really knew what I was talking about I could be downright dangerous, so take this information accordingly.
My best,
Jerry Snider

R

Ron Chapman

#2 and 3 are excellent. Please don't cut yourself short. Your Images do speak for themselves. I am here to learn something and you have taught me. Thank You! There is precious little information on the use of Nikon "speedlights". I have a D2hs and an SB800 looking for information. Thanks again.

Latest threads

Top Bottom