Duties incurred on lens purchase from B&H to Canada.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by urban, Aug 4, 2007.

1. I read on forums that camera parts do not get charged duties when importing into Canada.
    I bought a 35 f2 (Sharp lens, by the way!) and a filter from B&H, both got charged a 5% duty on the value of the two things. The $ was only about $17 so I am not b*tching about it but I would like to confirm with fellow Canadians or people with the knowledge what the deal is with importing camera parts into Canada from the US, just in case I want to make a big purchase in the future (70-200VR or the like).

Thank you!

2. I heard B&H had a way of shipping with the brokerage pre-paid, I have a feeling thats what happened with you..

HEres my experience though..
    If you buy it used, Its like playing roulette, Sometimes they will charge you tax on their perceived value of the good (Insured value or if they open it up sometimes they will assign a different value)

In about 10 things I shipped across the border about 20% of them got charged the 13% duty (GST + PST), USually the bigger ticket items, the smaller ones got through fine.
    This is all shipped via USPS (the cheapest way to ship because if they charge brokerage its only 5$, rather than up to 60% of the cost of the good, UPS and FedEx will charge)

Camera's and camera equipment are excempt from Tarrif's and whatnot, BUT that doesn't apply to sales Tax.

I generally find you get better service and customs treatment from Express post / priority mail. So sometimes its worth it to pay the extra! (if you ever HAVE to deal with UPS, buy the most expensive shipping method! if you go cheap they will Rape you on brokerage)