DVD Burnaway and Macintosh

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by frogpix, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I just came back from a week in Newfoundland and used my DVD Burnaway for storing photos shot with both a memory stick camera and my D2X. Well guess what, I only have one folder on each DVD. It appears that you can't see the other folders that contain the images on a Mac. I wonder if anybody out there has this same situation and can help me out. I am gonna kill myself if I have to somehow use my slow, deathly slow, PC with NO DVD burner or player in it to copy and transfer the hundreds of HUGE files. I just know that there is some way to see these other folders on the DVD.

Help!

Thanks,

Steve

2. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Hi Steve,

What Mac do you have? Which Mac OS? I am heavily experienced in Macs and am more than willing to try to help you out.

Let me know...I can give you a call if you want.

C

3. Cory,

I am operating a twin 2.5 gHz G5 with Tiger. I called the company and they said it was the brand of DVD. Nice to know that after I saved four DVDs worth of images. I am now trying to copy them directly to another brand and see if that helps. Otherwise, I have to go to a PC and drag each folder off and burn it to another DVD. This won't happen again. I'll get an upgrade from Delkin out of this at the very least.

Thanks,

Steve

4. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Nice Mac you have there. I have a Dual 2GHz G5 from the Virginia Tech supercomputer. 4GB RAM...gotta love them G5s, huh?

What brand of media? I used to work with all the media vendors very closely at AOL.

Let me know if you need any help.

C

5. Hi Cory,

At this time, I would NOT RECOMMEND the DVD Burnaway for users of Macs. This thing has cost me some serious time and aggravation due to the fact that 'certain brands' of DVDs will write, but not be readable by a Mac of ANY operating system. At this time, I have to go to a high end PC (speed required) and drag each individual session off onto the hard drive, then burn them onto a new DVD which WILL work on the Mac. Sony will not work with more than one session on the Mac, but will on the PC. It sure was nice of the Delkin to make this known before some of us spent some serious time shooting images. I spend a week in Newfoundland driving all over the place on my bike shooting photos and faithfully burning them to the DVD Burnaway only to find that they cannot be read, except for the first session on each disk, by a Mac. I tried my G4 and my G5 and the same things result.

This is a hardware problem that should be addressed by Delkin. They seemed very helpful and I expect it will be resolved. However, I may be purchasing either the Nikon CoolWalker or the Epson P2000. Both of these give me the optiion of editing stuff and trashing the bad images. I can always use the Burnaway for backup one session for each disk. When we gave up film, we took on a whole new batch of problems, didn't we?

Thanks,

Steve

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Steve,

Strange about the Sony media...usually pretty good. I have found that any media by Ritek is very good. They manufacture a lot of the other vendor's media as well.

I can hear the frustration in your posts...sounds like you had a great trip, just not a fond memory of it at the moment. I hope you get those shots off the media and can enjoy.

Understood about not recommending the DVD Burnaway...the single-session support is a definite deal-breaker. Check out Moose Peterson's reviews of the Coolwalker and P2000 here:

Just Out! Product Reviews by Moose

Yup...a whole new batch of problems, but a whole new realm of creativity and control.

C