DVD Burner

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Baywing, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm looking to get a DVD burner and looking for some info from users. Is there a particular one that works well, or one to be avoided?
    Running Win XP home, 1 gb ram, USB2. I do have room to install one internally, but I think I'd rather go external and use the USB2 port, which would allow it to be used with my laptop, too. I want one with bundled burner software, complete, ready to install and go. I've looked at Iomega (they made great zip drives), Sony and LaCie.
    Also which is the best media to use, the R+ or R- ?
    Thanks!

2. I've got the Plextor external DVD burner, burns either +/_ but apparently the + is more compatable with other DVD readers. I've used it extensively on the road (and I mean ON THE ROAD, ie back of the truck, running from laptop, burning pics after day of kayaking). I would highly recommend choosing your burning software as a stand alone, highly recommend Nero, instead of bundled as the bundled programs are usually very basic and not always the best program, just the one that the burner company allowed to push their software for a price.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. I own half a dozen burners. My favorite and the most reliable by far has been a Plextor. It was expensive, relatively speaking, at around $225. The HP I have seems okay, but I don't use it very much. Many of the $50-$100 burners I have bought lasted a few months then failed.

It also matters what discs you use. So far as I know, these are the only truely archival quality DVDs available. I use this company's other products and will be using these. Note they cost about the same as hard disk space. They only recently became available and are often out of stock.

http://www.mam-a.com/Archive_gold_image.html

Your mileage may vary, etc.

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I'm using Plextor DVD burners (internal models) and found them very reliable with Nero software. I'm not hooked entirely on DVD yet so always run verification of the data afterwards and so far, no data errors have resulted from the Plextors. I run the Plextors under Windows 2000 (various PCs).

Still I wish one could have a SCSI-based DVD burner, with a performance matching the phenomenal Plextor SCSI CD burners. They burn a CD in 2-3 minutes from data streaming over my network, while I'm running 20-30 programs concurrently one of which is Photoshop :cool: (4-way Xeon, 4GB RAM, all SCSI disks; old-fashioned but ultrastable NT Enterprise system). Never had a CD coaster to this day.

6. I have been using Sony for over a year now for video and data. I usually stick with -R unless it is strictly computer data. I have prolly burned near on 300-400 movies and countless photo backups with them and Sonys are awesome to me. I actually have three of them :)