dvd protection from copying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrdinh, Jul 19, 2005.

1. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    i recently made dvd for a client...they will copy them and distribute to others...is there software encryption or anything to prevent them from copying?...ie. dvd movie have protection from copying...

i would rather make copies and sell them instead of them...

thanks

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
  3. If it's a pic slideshow, there's a product out there that expires in so many days if a password isn't entered but they would just enter password and then make the copies. Rule of thumb: if it's on a disc, it can be copied. Anything. Even large studios put protection on but they can be cracked easily.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's true. One should price digital format work assuming it can be duplicated.

It's a new world folks!

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Today, anyone that wants to can either copy a disk bit-by-bit, or defeat encryption with any one of several tools available.

Still, the "average" person can't and won't, so whatever "protection" you use will probably do the job for most of your clients.

There's no point in worrying about the rest, because even for the Movie Industry, with all the money, power, resources, laws, lobbyists and judges, stopping "piracy", especially for one's OWN use, is impossible.

Try to choose something that will not (usually) cause play back problems with the hardware being used by your client. (ie, stand-alone DVD-Player, Computer DVD-Player, Portables, etc.)

6. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    yes, i just want something else to put on the dvd so bride will not copy it...i don't think she will spend lots of time and effort to find the software that will copy it...i thought most software on the market doesn't allow copyright dvd to be copied?...correct me if i'm wrong...thus, maybe i need to copyright it...how to do that?

7. Correct you if you're wrong.... you're wrong. Even the large studios put CSS software language in place to thwart copying, and that can easily be removed (my buddies are all techies) and this is readily available on the net. You don't need to worry if the bride can't find it, just if any of her friends can ("Gee, I'd love to get some copies of this but I don't know how" "Oh, I can do that for you"). Just put the CD at a pricepoint where you won't care if they copy it, ie $75.00 for first copy, $5.00 each additional copy. In fact, put your whole package at a pricepoint where you can just give the bride the CD as part of the whole plan.

8. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I am afraid that would be very difficult and expensive. There are lots of software products on the net that strip protection from dvd`d in seconds only for users to burn the protection free one back to a new disk.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Exactly! For me anyway, that makes the operation of event photography cleaner. I charge an hourly for the shoot, plus a 'materials charge' for the DVD. I make a DVD that holds the photos in TIFF and JPEG format, plus I use iDVD to make it so they can look at it on their TV.

This relieves me of the need to archive and print, or burn more copies. If they lose it, I'm always glad to reshoot. If it was a one of a kind, then they had no business losing it in the first place. (I do however have an archival copy of all my work, so for an 'archive search fee' I could reproduce their disk.

I have never had a client lose their disk though. I put it into a jewel case and put a nice print on the cover.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    PUT A BIG WATERMARK COPRIGHT RIGHT ACROSS THE MIDDLE OF THE PICS......PROOOF ONLY

12. Gale, I think he wants the DVD as part of the presentation, not just a DVD of proofs.

13. How much?

I charge an hourly for the shoot, plus a 'materials charge' for the DVD.

Chris, may I ask what your hourly rate is? (Also, I think I'm doing this quote thing wrong. Some guidance would be appreciated.)

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi David,

I specialize in science photography for textbooks and other educational materials - especially websites and CDs. I try to keep my rate around a hundred an hour, including set-up, shooting and processing time. I'm trying to get a 'for-pay' gig each week, and so far I'm hitting about half that. My best one was $1400 for all day in a lab; the smallest was $35 for about 20 minutes or so, shooting some lettuce from my fridge.