DVDs - Where you get them ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Mar 26, 2005.

1. I always search online for any gadgets to save few pennies. Is there a place you would recommend to get DVDs. I usually check pricewatch. I'm slowly getting to the point where 200+ GB of space is just not enough. I prefer to make double copies of photo sessions instead of having 200GB HD crash.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I get mine at Best Buy. I think I paid $19.95 for 50. These were the 4.7GB DVD-R type.

Regards,

Frank

3. Jay,

Pricewatch is a great site. I use it all the time when shopping for PC stuff. DVD's............I would just go somewhere locally. Shopping online for something like that will only save you a few bucks and you don't really know for sure what your getting. Hope this helps. :) :) :) :)

4. Bryan,
    I try to save where I can so I can get something else for the same amount. Here is an example:

BestBuy
    Memorex 100-Pack 8x DVD+R Disc - $79.99

NewEgg (Free FedEx Saver Shipping)
    Memorex 100-Pack 8x DVD+R Disc - $52.50

That's almost 30$ for which I could get 100 cases :)

5. WHOA.....that is a BIG difference!! NewEgg is a reputable online source. Thanks for the info. :) :) :) :)

6. Hmmm... For archiving your photos, wouldn't it make more sense to shop for reliable media rather than cheapest deal?

What I'd like to know is which are the most reliable DVD media out there. If it's significantly more reliable, then I don't mind paying $2 per disc instead of $.50 each. Coasters are useless even if they only cost you a penny each.

FWIW, while doing a little bit of digging on DPR's storage forum a while back, I found that quite a few folks feel that Mitsui's gold CD-Rs are as reliable as they come for CDs. Don't know about DVDs though. Here's one recent DPR post I just dug up suggesting this:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=12747095

Personally, I would ignore the next reply that DVDs should last longer than 5-10 years. We were told CDs would last forever too, but there are plenty of reports of properly handled/stored CD-Rs going bad after just a couple years. Not saying that most discs won't last much longer than that, but IMHO, it's risky enough to not assume they will last.

For myself, I'm not sure I want to trust DVDs yet, nor would I want to trust CDs to last very long either.

Whatever the case, you should make sure to keep multiple backups. And I'd recommend keeping your photos, at least the important ones, on an external HDD as well -- and keep it detached and powered off when not needed.

_Man_

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Fry's Electronics had 100 packs of Fuji DVD-Rs for $49.

9. Paul,

DPR forums seem to be back up and running again. That kind of failure seems to happen quite often nowadays.

As for DVD reliability, there probably aren't much of any useful data on that yet. Might have to wait a few years at minimum. :D And then, by that point, the DVD makers might pull a switch on us and produce lower quality DVDs for consumption. Fact is that this whole thing w/ optical media reliability is very hard to nail down for various reasons.

My own instincts would lead me to suggest following the CD-R trend and go w/ those that have been most reliable for CD-Rs. Also, I'd stick w/ the traditional big names in media makers, if not the likes of Mitsui. Probably TDK, Verbatim and such would be good choices among the big names. At least w/ them, they do have a reputation at stake. However, if Sony makes any optical media -- do they? -- I would not trust them just as I would not trust their readers and burners. Sony just doesn't seem reliable in this area.

The idea of off-site backups is not bad, but they can get pretty expensive though. Still, you might consider using smugmug.com as a sorta off-site backup for last resort since they offer unlimited storage(!) for their image hosting. It's certainly one perk I've considered myself. I think just having multiple backups, especially spread across multiple formats and locations, will be good enough. There's just no one way to ensure one backup is enough.

_Man_

10. BTW, here's an old thread on DPR's D70 forum that discusses something related to this backup thing. What do you actually save?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=12073161

Of particular interest is the suggestion to backup thumbnail PSDs to save the postprocessing layers and actions.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=12075813

And here, we touched on what people do for backup solutions.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=12101643

_Man_

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. Man,
    I guess I didn't get my point across in my first topic. I'm not looking for cheapest DVD / CD media ... I'm looking for GOOD DEAL. I guess it is obvious that one wouldn't pay $0.10 per blank DVD to store any type of work unless you don't mind taking chances.

As for as not trusting CDs or DVDs, I think that is personal paranoia. I just played CD which I purchased 12 years ago and had no problem. I use all my CD-Rs without any problems. I have 4 different HD: 3x40 and 1x125 and had no crush. But ..... there could be this ONE TIME where you will lose most valuable information. If I was so careful with all my information than I wouldn't record any of my stuff. You can lose tape, CD, DVD, HD etc in matter of seconds, you can lose paper work in fire/flood as well. You gotta take chances I guess !.

I guess my question was. Which BRAND and WHERE :wink:

14. Here's a Did You Know..................

The world's largest CD/DVD manufacturer is right here in Huntsville, Alabama. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I read somewhere that a CD/DVD has a life of 100 years.............not sure if that is true or not. How can it be proven???? :D :D :D :D

15. JoWillie

JoWillie Guest

16. LOL. Of course, I don't mean to suggest one shouldn't use any of these methods for backup. I was just pointing out that they are not nearly as reliable as the manufacturers would like us to believe. If you have multiple backups, you should be very safe. To suggest that it's purely "personal paranoia" is just plain silly. Businesses that care about their content/data don't just rely on single backups on either recordable CDs or DVDs either.

Part of the problem w/ placing all your eggs w/ a single backup is that you most likely won't know whether it's failed or still ok until you finally need to use the backup. If the costs of having some extra insurance isn't too great, why not do it? Of course, only you can decide what's worthwhile and what's not for you.

FWIW, I still have never had a HDD fail on me yet, whether at work or at home, over the course of 15 years. Does that make HDDs reliable enough to not need backups though?

_Man_

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The failure of a disk thought to be reliable is just as catastrophic as that of a cheap disk, just less likely. Therefore, I believe the only, truly safe archival system is multiplicity - multiple copies in more than one location.

For short term surety, this means that I keep a book of DVDs here at home, and one at the office. Since much of the work I do is 'for hire' I also give DVDs to some clients.

18. I agree Chris, multiple DVD backups is the way to go. I lock mine in a fire proof safe for extra insurance. :) :) :) :)