DX Lens Dilemma

I have an old D70s body, and am eagerly waiting for either a D400 or a D800. I'm in no rush to get a new body since I'm still learning, and I don't think I've hit the D70s wall yet, although it's been gradually becoming more and more annoying to use it.

Here's the dilemma: I have ONE DX lens in my bag, Tokina 11-16 f2.8. It's a wonderful piece of glass and I love it. But if FX is in my future, should I sell it now or keep it (and get D400 instead)? I already have someone interested in taking it off my hands.

I suppose this can easily degrade into a DX vs FX debate, and that's fine with me.

Opinions, comments appreciated.

Thanks.

If the D700 is anything to go by there is a DX mode which allows the use of DX lenses. Even if you use a DX Lens on an FX body it still works just with a bit of vignetting which can be easily addressed in PP. So if you love the lens why not keep it?

if you're planning on upgrading to FX sometime in the next five years, then stop buying DX glass.

sell the lens once you've upgraded. you'll lose out a little, but you'll have the lens in the meantime to use.

putting DX glass on an FX camera is a frightful waste of sensor size and camera capability.

That is true about the DX mode. I forgot it can do that, but I prefer to take advantage of the entire sensor if I already went through the trouble of getting it. What are the options for FX wide-angle anyway... 14-24 f2.8?

I got the Tok a couple years ago. This was before I even dreamed of getting an FX body, and as I said, I have been avoiding DX. All my other lenses are film/FX designed.

I have an old D70s body, and am eagerly waiting for either a D400 or a D800. I'm in no rush to get a new body since I'm still learning, and I don't think I've hit the D70s wall yet, although it's been gradually becoming more and more annoying to use it.

Here's the dilemma: I have ONE DX lens in my bag, Tokina 11-16 f2.8. It's a wonderful piece of glass and I love it. But if FX is in my future, should I sell it now or keep it (and get D400 instead)? I already have someone interested in taking it off my hands.

I suppose this can easily degrade into a DX vs FX debate, and that's fine with me.

Opinions, comments appreciated.

Thanks.
Why do you find "annoying" using the D70S? It seems as if you have not mastered your camera yet and the D70S is a great tool.
If your future is FX, I see no reasons to keep the camera or DX lenses. After all, you cannot use DX lenses in FX bodies to their fullest.
The D70S has been a great camera for me. It is light, excellent for traveling, has great image quality and can sync flash at 1/500sec. Except for the old D1 series, I do not know of any other professional camera that can sync flash at such a high speed.
The D400 and D800 or whatever they will be, could take some time before they show up on dealer's shells. A reasonable estimate would be late this summer, perhaps in early fall.
My experience in these forums has been that the persons asking the questions for help ended up doing exactly what they wanted to do in the first place, regardless of advise given. If you sell the camera waiting for the new models, I am afraid you are going to miss many photographic opportunities.
By the way, FX is going to be expensive, especially now after the tsunami, and I am sure you know that.
My advise: keep your camera till Nikon can introduce the model you want.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Ryan,

I would worry about this "problem" the day it really presents itself. That is, you've hit the boundaries of your D70s, AND at that time still feel that the next step in your photography is to go for a FF camera AND have the funds to get the camera and FF equivalent of the 11-16 lens you love.

Good luck and happy shooting,

Ryan,

I would worry about this "problem" the day it really presents itself. That is, you've hit the boundaries of your D70s, AND at that time still feel that the next step in your photography is to go for a FF camera AND have the funds to get the camera and FF equivalent of the 11-16 lens you love.

Good luck and happy shooting,
indeed.

I found my boundaries on my D70s, shooting in low light mainly... I (occassionaly) shoot parties and gigs to afford my gear... I usually shot at ISO400 or something like that because at 800 and "only" 6MP they found the resolution too low and noise too high for usage on flyers and such...

I upgraded to a D300s and It became much more complicated while at the same time challenging to take the same pictures at first... I'm thrilled by the pictures it creates and the handling is much better... But first try to get the maximum out of your D70s and prepare yourself for the upgrade to a Dx00 camera, they are much more complicated ;)

I also had a chance to sell my last DX lens (12-24) and bought a 16-35. While I still have the DX body I do miss the wide end but the 16 to 35 range is useful as well. GH

What applies to bodies applies to lenses: it's hard to shoot with a lens you don't have.

If you use the Tok a lot I wouldn't sell it. I would not expect the D800 to be in your hands anytime soon (even if it is announced, say, tomorrow, it will take a while before it's available)

The D70s is still serving me well. That's why I'm in no rush. But it's really noisy beyond iso400 and tends to focus hunt or lock on the wrong thing completely in less than ideal light - which I tend to do often. And I don't have time to MF it or it's too dark to even see properly through the vf. My primary interest with the newer bodies are for their supposedly improved AF systems. I noticed this when I was shooting for my friend's events. Club lighting can be very...interesting.

The D70s is still serving me well. That's why I'm in no rush. But it's really noisy beyond iso400 and tends to focus hunt or lock on the wrong thing completely in less than ideal light - which I tend to do often. And I don't have time to MF it or it's too dark to even see properly through the vf. My primary interest with the newer bodies are for their supposedly improved AF systems. I noticed this when I was shooting for my friend's events. Club lighting can be very...interesting.
Well, this is to me an indication that you are now encountering limits in your gear that make it worth the expense to upgrade... to me, it does not mean you have to go to an fx body. Perhaps a D7000 has what it takes to satisfy your needs without breaking the bank... In Europe they have dropped below 1000 Euro, an attractive package for what you get, IMO.

Do you live in the future? Or the past? Buy for now, because thats where we all live.

If you want to stay DX, jump on the D7000. I was waiting on the D300s replacement, but decided if it's that much better than the D7000, I can easily sell the D7000, like I did the D90, and get the D9000 (D300s replacement name I think Nikon will give it). Same goes for glass. I'll never sell my 35 1.8G, even if I don't have a DX body. It's great on FX too.
I understand the argument. If I needed a new computer, say for school or work, I'd get one today. But this is a little different. While I feel like the camera's limiting at times, it's not completely useless - far from it. So I'm perfectly willing to wait several months. The funny part is that I'm reluctant to get a D7000 because I don't feel like buying new memory cards..of all things.

And if using DX mode in an FX camera is a waste, how about using FX lenses on a DX body - which most except for ONE of my lenses are.

indeed.

I found my boundaries on my D70s, shooting in low light mainly... I (occassionaly) shoot parties and gigs to afford my gear... I usually shot at ISO400 or something like that because at 800 and "only" 6MP they found the resolution too low and noise too high for usage on flyers and such...

I upgraded to a D300s and It became much more complicated while at the same time challenging to take the same pictures at first... I'm thrilled by the pictures it creates and the handling is much better... But first try to get the maximum out of your D70s and prepare yourself for the upgrade to a Dx00 camera, they are much more complicated ;)
I had this exact same problem. 6MP was getting too low for media use, especially after cropping. Not the best practice, I know, but sometimes I have no choice. I'm okay with complication, if it means getting faster access to some things. From what I can tell, there are many quick-access buttons that I really wish my D70s has - I happily welcome the learning curve.

I know what you mean. People are making nice images with DX (mode or body). But it's a bit like getting an Aston Martin and only driving it on the highway. Which I suppose most people who own them do, and doesn't mean they enjoy it any less - or make it any less capable.

There's no point doing anything till you get your FX body.

I just recently went through the same thing...

Sold - Tokina 11-16, Nikon 18-105, Nikon 35 mm 1.8DX

Acquired - Nikon 16-35 F4, Nikon 28-105, Nikon 35 F2

I recommend you wait till you get the new body before you start trying to figure out what lenses you're going to want to use on it. I don't know why but it's not as simple as doing the math. For example...when I used the Tokina that you have I rarely shot at anything other than 11mm. Since I've gotten the 16-35mm F4 I am really loving the 20-24mm range. I was also really worried about the loss of length moving to FX but I really don't notice much difference when I use my 70-300mm VR - I know it's there, it just doesn't bother or limit me in any discernable way.

if you're planning on upgrading to FX sometime in the next five years, then stop buying DX glass.

sell the lens once you've upgraded. you'll lose out a little, but you'll have the lens in the meantime to use.
This is what I would do as well

"The funny part is that I'm reluctant to get a D7000 because I don't feel like buying new memory cards..of all things)

Don't let something as cheap as cards stop you from buying a new body. The files from a 7000 are probably 4-5 times larger than your 70. The new FX body files will be same or larger. You are probably going to get new cards anyway. GH

The 11~16 is a fine lens. I sold it with my D90 when I got my D700, but for their FX 16-28 as I missed the DX lens. Keep it!

Just buy some FX lenses, 70-300 VR, 50mm Sigma or Nikon f/1.4, Nikon 85mm etc - very popular with DX users.

Same goes for glass. I'll never sell my 35 1.8G, even if I don't have a DX body. It's great on FX too.
err, it's the same as bolting a 50mm f1.8 onto an FX camera, except it's wasting sensor size by using only the DX format.

i know which lens i'd choose for my FX bodies.

And if using DX mode in an FX camera is a waste, how about using FX lenses on a DX body - which most except for ONE of my lenses are.
there's nowt wrong with using FX glass on DX bodies.

heck, i used my trio of D series zooms on my D70. now i use those 16 year old lenses on a D3s. i bought them with my F5.

i really do counsel against spending too much on DX glass if you feel you will upgrade to FX in not-too-many years. see my sig.

Latest posts