1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DXO and Old Nikons

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by Jarrell, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Yesterday, while rummaging around looking for something else, I came across my old Nikon 5700. I thought I remembered that it did take images in RAW but took a looong time to process in the camera. I tried it and loaded the files into DXO PL but the thumbnails on the bottom of page were grayed out and the message across the screen said "The image cannot be processed because it's EXIF data cannot be read or is corrupted." Hmmmm.... I say to no one in particular. So I tried them in Lightroom CC and there they were in all their glory ready to be edited to my hearts content. I've long since moved on from this camera but I'm curious as to why the disparity between the two programs. Is there a way to get DXO to recognize the NEF files from this camera?
    Jarrell

2. Yup, I had that same conversation with no one in particular too, over my D100, several times. Finally, after days of silence I sent an email to the DXO team who confirmed that even though they have camera/lens data for the D100 they no longer support reading NEF data. The best I, or DXO, could come up with was process the NEF in some other program, save as a TIFF and finish it in DXO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I remember when I used NX and people criticized the slowness of the program. One reason given was that Nikon would not give up on old cameras so code had to be in the program for all legacy cameras.

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thank you Nick and Allan for your help. Alas, now I'll never know just how great DXO's Prime NR could have made these old files.... :) 

5. Yeah, they supported the D2h, but not the D2hs for some reason. Like Nick, I remember emailing them about that.

It's a shame, because I've got about five years worth of D2hs photos.

6. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
  7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thanks Tony for the advice and links. I downloaded the converter..
    but on selecting the folder where the nikon 5700 nef raw files were stored I got the 'No items match your search' dialog.
    I went back to the Adobe website to check if the 5700 was indeed supported and found the comprehensive list and
    it is listed..
    Evidently I'm not holding my mouth right... :) 
    I'll try to figure it out this afternoon when I have more time. Tony, thank you for the information!
    Jarell

8. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    You are welcome Jarrell
    It definitely is related to the mouth and you need to stick your tongue out a little to the left side to make it work correctly ;) 

Seriously, this is something that seems to catch everyone out and IMO should have been fixed by Adobe by now

Anyway if I have got this right your workflow would be similar to this:
    1. Have the NEF's that you want to convert in a specific folder. You may want to even include a subfolder but not nec. as the converter will work on creating a duplicate NEF but in DNG format
    2. You start Adobe DNG and then click on item Select Folder... tab.
    3. This folder opens on your desktop but you see no items selected plus the helpful message 'No items match your search'
    All stops here while you scratch your head and wonder what you have done wrong - sound about right? :) 

If that is the sum of it then believe it or not there is no problem! Just go ahead and press the Select button. The dialogue window
    will close and all you need to do now is click on the Convert button and the program will go ahead and make the conversions

I just hope now that you should have your DNG's that DXO supports them correctly!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    And as if by magic it did as you said, converted the NEF's into DNG's right before my eyes. But when I open DXO and navigate to the folder I find that DXO won't do it's part. Tony, I appreciate your help. That was a pretty neat effect when DNG converter converted files that I couldn't even see in the file selector. It looks like, for some reason, DXO is going to be the hang up. It was fun trying though!

10. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Oh, sorry to hear that Jarrell. So it looks like DXO only partially follows DNG? I am guessing that it still needs support for the original camera raw file format in the application, which seems to negate the point of conversion.

So unless anyone else with DXO/DNG experience can offer help looks like you are going to be unlucky

11. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    That's ok Tony, you've been a big help in getting me to understand the process more. I forgot this screen shot in DXO's image properties dialog, though I don't think it really matters... :) 

12. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    This corresponds with what I read about DNG support in DxO some time ago:

"DxO supports DNG format files as long as they have been generated by Adobe Lightroom, or Adobe DNG Converter, and as long as the original RAW format is also supported in the program. OpticsPro will also accept DNG files created natively by supported cameras."

13. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Ahh, that seems to solve it, the original camera raw format support needs to be in the camera database. So DXO never had this model profiled therefore no go and DNG conversion redundant. Adobe does support all tested cameras and does not move them from the DNG database so once a new camera added it does not need the support of the current raw which in turn enables new cameras to be used in ACR that are not supported in earlier versions.

So one way to test NR in DXO would be to first render a file and export (TIFF strong suggestion) then apply Prime NR and probably sharpening before saving again as a finished file

14. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    I suppose you mean render as TIFF in Adobe, Tony?
    But in DxO, Prime is only available for raw files. JPG or Tiff can only be treated with the standard nr.
    Which isn't bad at all. I only switch to prime for images with more than around ISO 5000

15. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Yes Bart render as TIFF via Adobe then apply Prime was the thought, another thought dashed as only available for raw :( 

16. This thread does point out the loss of interoperability that we got with the move to digital. I never had a negative of reasonable size that was incompatible with my Beseler enlarger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I agree, no D2Hs support was the major reason I went with Capture One over DXO when I was looking for a RAW converter to replace CNX2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.