DxO Comparison - turning a Sigma into a Nikon?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Harry Lavo, Apr 18, 2007.

1. I thought a more concrete example of DxO in action might prove of more interest on this forum than my previous question in the thread below. Keep in mind that I do not yet own a copy of DxO, I am not in any way affiliated with the company, and have simply tried their free 21 day evaluative copy that they allow you to download from http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo .

In any case, I have uploaded two originals from to a "DxO Comparison" gallery on pbase, for your examination. In it, I have included a jpeg at maximum quality derived by Photoshop Elements 4.0 from the original NEF file, and the DxO copy that the program produced in about :30 sec of processing time.

http://www.pbase.com/hflphotos/dxocomparison

To me the difference is pretty amazing, but I am not yet a really proficient photoshoper. But to the degree I have tried, I would probably have to spend at least 15 minutes in the Photoshop editor to begin to approach this...and I don't think "unsharp mask" would do this good a job of sharpening by itself.

I am interested in your comments, reactions, and opinions. Have at it.

2. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Hi Harry,

I love DxO for converting large numbers of photos that I need optimized for various uses. I don't use DxO exclusively, but I've found it to be an invaluable part of my work-flow in certain situations. As an early adopter of DxO, I've seen the interface and processing times get better and better (although some say that both still make them hate the program!). I've also found the company to be very supportive and easy to communicate issues and requests to.

If you like what it does and can justify the cost, buy it!

3. Thanks Jeff -

I'm about there, at least so long as the 18-200 is my main take along lense. It just is unsharp enough long and short, wide open and closed down, to make it a worthwhile workflow step. But I am waiting to see how many lenses they extend to the d50, as they seem clearly to have it pegged into the strictly amateur camp. I'll go out and buy a new lense before I trade my camera just to match their selection. It is a bit pricy, but they do offer promotions from time to time and I'll probably wait for one of them as well as lens selection.

4. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Hi Harry,

I didn't realize you had a D50. You're right, they don't give that or the 40x much support and seem to lean toward the D70 and up. I should have looked at your profile more closely, sorry for that.

I agree with you also to not be in a big hurry. They may add more lenses to the D50 and you may change cameras, you never know! If you do take the plunge and buy, remember, upgrades are free. At least they always have been in the past. So it's a one time investment, even if you change camera bodies.

5. Hello back, Jeff -

I am waiting patiently. If they don't expand lens modules for the d50 soon, it may be the final incentive I need to move up to the d80. I'd rather put my money into lenses, though, since the d80 doesn't add anything in the way of available light shooting, which is what I am really waiting for. Beginning to look like a pretty nice selection for the D80 and D200.

6. Some time ago I tried DxO and couldn't find any reason to buy it. Everything it did I could do better with PS and other plugins.

I have to say from the posted example I prefer the original jpeg. DxO in this instance seems to have managed the interesting combination of oversharpening while losing detail.

7. Thanks for the perspective, Brian. It is one I as a newbie to PS may not fully yet appreciate, but I hear 'ya.