DxO elite on sale

$149.99 vs usual price of $199.99 until April 9th.

They do these sales with some regularity, however, so if you miss this you'll get another opportunity in a few months.

$149.99 vs usual price of $199.99 until April 9th.

They do these sales with some regularity, however, so if you miss this you'll get another opportunity in a few months.
Then you have to buy a newer version when a new camera comes out eg Nikon Z series. Bought the Elite version less than a year ago but needed DXO 2 in order to use prime on Z6 RAW files

Then you have to buy a newer version when a new camera comes out eg Nikon Z series. Bought the Elite version less than a year ago but needed DXO 2 in order to use prime on Z6 RAW files
I had to update to the new LR subscription model to get Z support . . . Quicken is now a subscription model too. It's a cash flow corporate model.

Only for a major upgrade like 1 to 2. Updates come out frequently to include new cameras and are free of charge.

I'm guessing that in the case of the "Z" cameras, Version 2 was already out and they didn't want to work on an older version to handle it.

I just got an update yesterday that mentioned Z compatibility, I think. Just checked, it does, and it associates them with a whole host of Nikon and non-Nikon lenses.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ian
It,s just that in the course of a year I went from DXO toDxo Lab elite then to DXO lab 2 elite . Like the product- just hoping for some longevity as well as free updates for new cameras .
What software has ever continued to update major revisions for free once the next iteration of the software was released and available for purchase? Certainly no software I've ever come across.

Back when Lightroom was a paid-license, it wasn't like this. Alien Skin's Exposure isn't like this. DxO isn't like this either. They would literally make zero money from people, because everyone would be using 8 year old software because it kept getting updates for free.

Where paid-license software offers savings is when you're not buying new gear all the time, and needing new lens or camera profiles. In theory, if you didn't buy any new gear for 5 years, your copy of DXO PL2 would work perfectly fine, and you paid for it once. That is not the case with software rental like LR, which at $120/yr. you would pay $600 over that 5 year period.

Real Name
Ian
I was just "pie in the sky" hoping and frustrated at having to shell out 3 times for a software. My choice, for sure.
You have to "shell out" because you keep buying new gear. Stop buying new gear, and you'll stop "shelling out" for the updates that support that new gear. There is not a software company out there that continues to add major feature updates to a version of software once the next version is released. If there were, they wouldn't be in business for very long.

Plus, think about it this way:
  • You bought DXO PL1, and then bought a Z6 and therefore needed to buy DXO PL2. That upgrade to DXO PL2 cost you $100 (whereas a year of LR would cost you $120), and when next year rolls around, presuming you don't continue to buy new gear, you don't have to spend any money on DXO. PL2 will continue to work just fine. That is not the case for LR, which would continue to cost you $10/mo, regardless of whether or not you bought any new gear that required an update.

Real Name
Dan
I'm on board. Been testing the 30 day free trial which is about to run out. Had already decided to buy it next time a sale came along. Since the sale came out before the end of my 30 days I didn't have to wait :D

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom