DxO Photolab 3 released

Only one gripe, it takes 33 seconds to load on my Win 10 high-end, ssd computer.
There might be something else at play there as that is quite a long time.
About 11 to 12 Sec on a 2008 MacPro

** Edit **
Just noticed @Pa has even longer than the 33 Sec. Strange how differently machines can respond to what should be constants.

I did notice while tinkering with my machine, and it takes a fair bit of tinkering to keep it going, that while DxO doesn't apparently leverage graphics cards a lot, when hardware acceleration is not on, it is basically unusable. So the card installed might be a factor in opening etc.

Last edited:
I sent a complaint to DxO about the slow startup time and got this response:

"Thank you for writing back. The way DxO PhotoLab 2 works, and starts, is that it imports all of the file in a user designated file folder and processes each file separately. Each photo file is individually analyzed in order to provide a unique set of settings that will work best for each file. The more photo files that are in a folder, and the larger the files, the longer it will take for PhotoLab to start. Also, if you have a large number of correction modules installed in the program, this will impact the start time. And, as with all programs, start time will vary based on the processor you have installed in your computer, the speed of the processor and hardware bus, how much RAM is installed, and how much free space is available on the hard drive.

If you have your photo files stored on an external drive, moving them to the main drive can help. Adding more memory to the system can help. If your system drive is full, or close to being full, moving files to free up more space can help. You should try to have more the 10%-15% free on the drive at all times. Managing the number of photo files to be processed in a file folder can help. Only having the correction modules that are needed to process your photos on a regular basis can help.

We had an older system that had a fast SSD drive, and it regularly took up to a couple of minutes to start PhotoLab 2, even with a few photo files in a folder. We recently were able to upgrade to a new system with more memory and a faster processor, and startup time for the program is not within 15 seconds.

There are many inter-related factors that can affect program startup time. Which combination will work best for you will vary.

Thank you for contacting DxO Customer Support and please have a good week."

I sent a complaint to DxO about the slow startup time
Thanks. They are right about those basics.
Notwithstanding those though, there are probably are pipeline optimisations that may make a dramatic difference to both actual opening / loading time and sometimes more importantly, apparent opening / loading time if not not already done. They could delay certain things till later in the pipeline etc.

We will never know and just have to take care of the basics they outlined.

It always starts with the file you last used/viewed. I set mine to open with the desktop (no photo files) and also turned off "automatically sheck for updates" and they made no difference, compared to a file with 150 NEFs in it.

No doubt some variables have an effect. Today I'm getting 12 sec opens...at least after the first one automatically at boot time and a manual shutdown sometime after boot up.

Prompted by this discussion I just tried an experiment. I had used PL 3 earlier this afternoon and shut it down. I then deleted the folder in which I had been editing images. I restarted PL 3 just now and it took 1:57 to get to the point that I could see thumbnails in another folder.

I always work with projects.
Once a project is build by adding the selected files with drag & drop, the work the support answer describes, is being done on that selection of files.
On starting the application up again, it goes to the project I was last using and no new work needs to be done by the application. Everything is already in the database.
Start up takes less than 10 seconds from the display of the splash screen - just checked.
Mostly because the application is set to check and suggest download of available camera-lens modules. The images in the project I'm working on now aren't using camera-lens modules so, none are applied and all available camera-lens modules are checked and suggested again.
Comes to think of it, I'd better disable this function. I already have the camera-lens modules I want to use installed.

I always work with projects.
Mostly because the application is set to check and suggest download of available camera-lens modules. The images in the project I'm working on now aren't using camera-lens modules so, none are applied and all available camera-lens modules are checked and suggested again.
Comes to think of it, I'd better disable this function. I already have the camera-lens modules I want to use installed.
I turned off the auto check of newly detected camera-lens combos (by mistake-the wording was weird and I wanted to see what that option did). So far I've not found a way to turn it back on. Fortunately each thumbnail has a status in the upper right that shows if a new downloaded configuration is needed and clicking on it will do the job.

Prompted by this discussion I just tried an experiment. I had used PL 3 earlier this afternoon and shut it down. I then deleted the folder in which I had been editing images. I restarted PL 3 just now and it took 1:57 to get to the point that I could see thumbnails in another folder.
Not sure what's going on there. On my MacBook Pro 13 inch 2016 DXO PL 3 opens in 4-5 seconds.

I turned off the auto check of newly detected camera-lens combos (by mistake-the wording was weird and I wanted to see what that option did). So far I've not found a way to turn it back on. Fortunately each thumbnail has a status in the upper right that shows if a new downloaded configuration is needed and clicking on it will do the job.
Here's 2 places I believe you can access that option:

From the preferences pane, General> 3rd box from the top (check box at lower left).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And from the DXO Modules menu tab (on the top of the screen)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Nick, but my screens don't look like that - no colored dots at the top and no icons for 'General' 'Display' etc. - just the words you can click on.

I was running 3.0.0 and did the upgrade just now to 3.0.1 hoping to see your prettier interface. No luck.
None of the four DXO modules options have the checkbox.

But good news, I found the needed checkbox in preferences/general/display section. I'm on Win 10 (rather than a Mac).
Glad you stimulated my search for this thing.
-Steve

Real Name
Bill Mellen
the black friday sale email just came through, some more attractive pricing now. Just wondered whether it is worth upgrading the NIK collection
Phil,

The pricing was good and I updated the Nik collection today. Interesting that it comes with Photo Lab 2 essentials as part of the package. I already have Photo Lab 3 Elite, so there was no need to install it.

That makes the package a really good deal for a lot of people.

Real Name
John A Alexander
I've been using V3 for quite a bit now and have to say I really like the HSL wheel, especially when the colours in the shot are muted due to poor light. Also regarding the comments about what Adobe can do etc, I thnk that DxO do deserve credit for recognising their limitations by providing options such as "Export to Lightroom" and "Export to application". With the latter option you can select the application to export to such as PSE as I do.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom