DXO-PL 4 released

I'm really impressed by how fast this version starts compared to previous versions. That was one of the things that annoyed me most about PL2 and PL3. It commonly takes 2.5 to 3 minutes before PL3 gets completely ready to use. With PL4 it's 30s or less.

I'm really impressed by how fast this version starts compared to previous versions. That was one of the things that annoyed me most about PL2 and PL3. It commonly takes 2.5 to 3 minutes before PL3 gets completely ready to use. With PL4 it's 30s or less.
Agreed ! I've got it set to auto-start whenever I boot up, just to be ready when I want to use it.

I just did a comparison on startup times, from clicking the icon in the dock until ready-to-use. PL-3: One minute, 52 seconds; PL-4: 20.2 seconds.

I don't know what they did to improve it, but it makes an amazing difference in usability of the product.

from clicking the icon in the dock until ready-to-use. PL-3: One minute, 52 seconds; PL-4: 20.2 seconds.

I don't know what they did to improve it, but it makes an amazing difference in usability of the product.
I'm always amazed at how impatient all of us have become that a difference of about 1 1/2 minutes for a program to start up makes it so much more enjoyable to use.

I'm always amazed at how impatient all of us have become that a difference of about 1 1/2 minutes for a program to start up makes it so much more enjoyable to use.
Agreed, we've gotten hooked on instant gratification.

Do you have any programs on your computer that commonly take over two minutes to start ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
DXO 4 starts in about 10 seconds. I'd never timed DXO 3, but I'd say closer to 45+ seconds. The new version also applies changes, particularly NR, conversions to TIFF/JPG, much faster.
The slow loading programs I can recall were all statistical analysis programs, now thankfully no longer on my machine!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Photoshop, 9 seconds.
Microsoft Word, 1.8 seconds.
Firefox, with 47 websites open, 3.7 seconds.
Thunderbird email with a huge database, 5 seconds.

Nothing should take nore than 10 seconds to open, surely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kind of miss the old days of walking into the office, turning on my IBM-PC and having enough time to make and pour myself a cup of coffee before the computer was ready for its first command.
Sigh, and I've even had the grace to slow down since then!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Of course. All my machines have an SSD for their system drive, or if only one drive - like my laptop - then for the only drive. It won't be long before almost every machine is SSD, the prices keep dropping.
In the case of my two main machines, this is NVMe SSD, so it is plugged directly onto the motherboard. Older systems still use the slower SATA interface and need a cable.

Last edited:
As a 3.3 elite user, looks like they want $70 for an upgrade.
Wonder why I've received no special offers or other email from DXO ?
Secret upgrade !
Same here..I had to to their online site to learn that I qualified for an upgrade
Are you subscribed to the mailing list? Otherwise, they are not even allowed to mail you (GDPR).
I've already got multiple mails, about the upgrade, an offer and links to tutorials about the new features.

So for a $50 upgrade I get “better” noise reduction (PRIME NR was already fantastic), the ability to view the history of edits I’ve made, and the ability to put a watermark on my images?

Meanwhile, there is still no radial filter in the Local Edits panel, I can’t use DXO PL to stitch images together nor to blend multiple exposures in to an HDR image, and the masking ability is still woefully behind Adobe IMO.

I don’t see any substantial improvements here IMO. Am I just missing something?
Ian,

Have you tried to pass this information along to them?
From time to time, the have a survey about what the users would like to see in the next release.
The things you mention for instance, I would never vote for because I have no need for them.
So, your vote and discussion about these tools could trigger more people to vote to add these to their list for a next release.

Real Name
Ian
Are you subscribed to the mailing list? Otherwise, they are not even allowed to mail you (GDPR).
I've already got multiple mails, about the upgrade, an offer and links to tutorials about the new features.

Ian,

Have you tried to pass this information along to them?
From time to time, the have a survey about what the users would like to see in the next release.
The things you mention for instance, I would never vote for because I have no need for them.
So, your vote and discussion about these tools could trigger more people to vote to add these to their list for a next release.
I have, multiple times. Every time I get the “thanks for your feedback, we’ll pass it on to our development team”, and nothing ever comes of it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom