DXO-PL 4 released

I am another who does not like to import image files into the computer via any software program. I prefer to transfer the files from memory card right to my desktop, and then from there I can choose what I want to do with the files. So, for example, I shoot a bunch images in an afternoon session with the camera; I come into the house, stick the memory card into the card reader, copy the files from memory card to desktop, then set the card aside while I make sure all is good before inserting it back into the camera and formatting for news. I then can take the new image folder into Photo Mechanic, DxO PhotoLab 3, or Luminar 3. Most of the time it goes into DxO PhotoLab 3 immediately, rather than my taking the time to first review and cull through Photo Mechanic. I have the best intentions but they don't always happen!

I review the images in DxO PhotoLab 3 and edit the ones which catch my attention immediately, and then send the edited images back to the desktop and from there I put them into various folders as needed. Since I am working on a 52-Week Project, I have a folder specifically for that, and at the end of each week I review the images that I've dropped into the Week [number xx] and select 6 or 7 of what I consider to be the best or the most interesting, and those are what eventually wind up as my choices that are posted here in my thread. I also upload to my Zenfolio gallery from folders of edited images on my desktop, too. I want no part of having my images trapped in some software program's "catalog" where I don't have full control over them.

I want no part of having my images trapped in some software program's "catalog" where I don't have full control over them.
Understandable. However, any reasonably designed catalog will leave full control in the user's hands.

Having said that, once the user has committed to using a database catalog, it's generally best to use that catalog to rename, copy, move and delete the image files. Otherwise, the catalog will lose track of where those files are and whether their names have been changed, depending of course on the catalog's ability to "watch" and keep track of those functions conducted by other software programs.

Last edited:
I am another who does not like to import image files into the computer via any software program. I prefer to transfer the files from memory card right to my desktop, and then from there I can choose what I want to do with the files. So, for example, I shoot a bunch images in an afternoon session with the camera; I come into the house, stick the memory card into the card reader, copy the files from memory card to desktop, then set the card aside while I make sure all is good before inserting it back into the camera and formatting for news. I then can take the new image folder into Photo Mechanic, DxO PhotoLab 3, or Luminar 3. Most of the time it goes into DxO PhotoLab 3 immediately, rather than my taking the time to first review and cull through Photo Mechanic. I have the best intentions but they don't always happen!

I review the images in DxO PhotoLab 3 and edit the ones which catch my attention immediately, and then send the edited images back to the desktop and from there I put them into various folders as needed. Since I am working on a 52-Week Project, I have a folder specifically for that, and at the end of each week I review the images that I've dropped into the Week [number xx] and select 6 or 7 of what I consider to be the best or the most interesting, and those are what eventually wind up as my choices that are posted here in my thread. I also upload to my Zenfolio gallery from folders of edited images on my desktop, too. I want no part of having my images trapped in some software program's "catalog" where I don't have full control over them.
I feel I have full control of my images. Lightroom does absolutely nothing to the photo file. It adds all the information it uses in a separate sidecar file. I can move my files and organize them into folders any way that I desire. I just do it through the lightroom interface rather than the operating system. But the original files are totally untouched. I can upload to Zenfolio through Lightroom. I even give all the ones I upload a green rating and I can immediately see what I have uploaded to Zenfolio. I'm not trying to talk you into using Lightroom or telling you your system is bad. I just want you to know that you have some misconceptions about a Lightroom catalog. Everything you mentioned you do with your photos could be done just as easily in Lightroom. But this thread is getting off topic, now. So I guess we should be talking about PL-4.

Thanks, Mike and Terri! You're right, Terri, that I do/did have some misconceptions about Lightroom, so that is good to know more about how it actually does work!

I got the email from DXO about the upgrade to PhotoLab 4 and tomorrow I'll get my act together and go ahead and purchase, download and install the program.... I am looking forward to seeing the new changes they've made and am hoping that they haven't done anything too drastic to interfere with how I like to use the features and functions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was viewing a DXO webinar and one of the slides may interest those of you thinking about updating to PL4. Note what is/isn't included in each version.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy

LR doesn't touch a Nef. All the original Nefs are always where you put them. I tried Dx0 and nothing IMO compares to LR + PS for quality and speed
btw I also copy the images and control the folder structure and what file goes where. I only use LR for editing, I don't use the catalog except to keep up with changes I make

I paid $99 for Nik and $69 for PL4. I lost Nik or I might have got an upgrade price, although how do you upgrade from a free version
I paid $99 for Nik as well because all I had earlier was the free version that Google offered. I'm not going to purchase PL4. I've been playing with it, but can get a better outcome with Lightroom. I'm very familiar with Lightroom and have been using it for years. I still have more time on the trial version of PL4 so I will probably keep experimenting. It just seems silly for me to give up on Lightroom since I have spent years learning about all the features.

Real Name
Randy
I paid $99 for Nik as well because all I had earlier was the free version that Google offered. I'm not going to purchase PL4. I've been playing with it, but can get a better outcome with Lightroom. I'm very familiar with Lightroom and have been using it for years. I still have more time on the trial version of PL4 so I will probably keep experimenting. It just seems silly for me to give up on Lightroom since I have spent years learning about all the features.
I tried a few files and didn’t like it compared to LR

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom