DXO-PL 4 released

I’m curious where/how you use the history panel.

I never used it in LR, and haven’t missed it since moving to DXO. If I need to undo a changeI made, I simply Ctrl+Z.

What does the history panel provide in terms of benefit your editing workflow?

With it you can go back as many steps as you like with one click. Also, when I revisit an image several days or weeks after editing, I like to see what I have done. Instead of having to reopen all the tools and look for those I have made adjustments with, I can just scroll through the history.

You might not find that useful, but I do.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I always store the installation file for software with perpetual licenses in a particular folder. My reasoning is that if I ever need to reinstall it and can't get access to the developer's website for whatever reason or don't want to bother getting to it, I have everything I need on my computer to install the software.
I do this too Mike. Along with license keys.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I think selective copy and paste is going to be useful.
Selective copy-paste is a must for any advanced photo editing software in my opinion. Lightroom and Capture One have this. Capture One doesn’t have history though, and a great many people coming from Lightroom miss it. I have grown accustomed to lack of history, but I rarely used it anyway.

Exactly what is selective copy and paste? The reason I ask is that, as far as I remember, it's not possible in Adobe Camera Raw to copy and paste the exact local selection from one image file to another image file; it's only possible to duplicate the settings such as brightness, saturation and the like, after which you determine the selection to which those settings will be automatically applied. I don't think of that as copy-and-pasting but perhaps that's what is meant.

I haven't had time to try it out, but from the user manual:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.40.45.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.40.54.jpg

Quick and dirty science. Not published, not peer reviewed, not replicated, nobody died, but not funded by outside interests :D

1. Crop, with no noise reduction.
HUM10.jpg

2. HQ (basic DXO-PL) noise reduction.
HUM10-1.jpg

3. Prime
HUM10-2.jpg

4. Deep.

HUM10-3.jpg

Your screenshot indicates that all local corrections in the source image are applied to the destination image. If there is a way to do that in Adobe Camera Raw, I'm not aware of it and I checked (though quickly) the current version released yesterday.

There actually is an easy way to do that in Adobe Camera Raw. I was thinking that only the global settings could be copied and pasted, so I don't know if I was wrong or if it's new to the version released yesterday. Considering that I didn't know it could be done, it's a good thing I never have a use for it. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for this thread -- I hadn't realized that there's a new update/upgrade! I really like DXO PhotoLab 3 and definitely will get this newest version....,.. Like Nick, I haven't used Photoshop in years; my last version was CS 3, and then once Aperture came along I began using that and never bothered updating to CS 4 and beyond....when I switched to a new computer I then never bothered installing CS 3 on it, and that was the end of Photoshop for me. It's a great program, but really I don't need all the bells and whistles that it and Lightroom provide. I'm pretty simple and straightforward with my post-processing and editing. Never could figure out the whole layers thing.....

Never could figure out the whole layers thing.....

That's the primary reason I migrated from Photoshop to Nikon Capture NX years ago; I simply couldn't get used to layers. Then a couple years ago when I realized I would be better off by biting the bullet and learning how to use them, for some reason it wasn't a problem for me. I have no idea why. Some of my post-processing work requires using them, so I'm glad it suddenly, inexplicably became easy. Even so, there are a couple details about using them for which I haven't figured out exactly how they work. Hopefully when I get around to biting that next bullet, using those capabilities will be just as easy.

Real Name
Ken St John
I am also an early adaptor of PL4 and am really impressed. One of the things I read was the improvements would add more life to older files. Although I rarely shot in RAW, I find that PL4 does do a great job even with old JPG's!! These are from a trip to the Philippines 10 years ago and I was using a D700 & Nikon 24-85 lens. Although the improvements are subtle, I can certainly see them and imagine that had I shot in RAW, these differences would be far greater.

Original
KEN_5113.jpg

DXO4
KEN_5113_DxO.jpg

Original
KEN_5179.jpg

DXO4
KEN_5179_DxO.jpg

Overall I am quite impressed and believe the $70 upgrade charge was worth it.

Ken

I just saw this on DXO's support site:

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 13.50.11.jpg

I'm on a Mac.

That said, I was just updated (it came out in the last hour or 2) to DXO-PL 4.0.0 build 42. Not sure what was in the update.

As a 3.3 elite user, looks like they want $70 for an upgrade.
Wonder why I've received no special offers or other email from DXO ?
Secret upgrade !

Latest threads

Top Bottom