DXO-PL tutorial

Real Name
Walter Rowe
If I understand your question correctly, yes, with control points. Both in DXO-PL on a Raw file, or in most of the NIK tools (on jpgs or tiffs).
I just did a search on Google and came across this thread. Seems the old DxO Mac version had a “color editor” tool. It wasn’t a U-Point type of feature. You chose a color anywhere in the image and it would select that color across the entire image. You can use controls to determine the range of hue and tone “around” the color you picked, and adjust hue, saturation and luminosity.

DxO Forums – Color Editor

Based on this thread linked above it seems this feature was removed in PhotoLab. The theory seems to be that it was a Mac-only feature and was removed to make the Windows and Mac have feature parity.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
That was a useful video. Thanks for posting. As I face the dilemma of whether or not to go to the subscription version of LR, I may delve deeper into DxO with the mindset of evaluating a possible replacement rather than just considering it supplemental to LR. I really like the corrections it makes based on camera/lens profiles and the Prime NR. Need to poke around more with the other adjustment tools and look into the DAM.

DXO's "DAM" is fairly rudimentary and uses the computer's file system, rather than its own library. You can search on a variety of EXIF features, and organize images into projects (images aren't moved). Simple as it is, it's more than enough for me.

The meaning of the term, DAM, may have evolved over time, but I use the traditional concept that if it doesn't have its own database, it's not a DAM. Lightroom has its own database.

Having said that, I believe only a very, very small percentage of even avid photographers actually require a database to quickly and easily find their images. If they can do that without the use of a database, there really is no need for a database. The slide shows I put together on a regular basis require using a database but few people use their photos the way I use them.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
The feature I find most powerful with catalogs (databases) is searching. I’ve been asked multiple times in recent years if I have pictures of someone who passed away. Disciplined metadata management and a database for searching has been invaluable in being able to provide people with memories they long forgot.

Real Name
Philip Armitage
thanks, I had downloaded PL-2 and found it pretty confusing for an old guy like me. So that was an hour well spent, and I am now more confident with PL-2. While I will still use ACR for my bread and butter stuff - for the more arty pics, PL-2 could be the way to go

Real Name
Walter Rowe
thanks, I had downloaded PL-2 and found it pretty confusing for an old guy like me. So that was an hour well spent, and I am now more confident with PL-2. While I will still use ACR for my bread and butter stuff - for the more arty pics, PL-2 could be the way to go
If you are looking for Adobe alternatives, Capture One has lots of videos on how to use the tools within the package and how to use layers and layer masks for more creative or precise editing.

Capture One Learning Hub - Free tutorials, webinars and blog posts

Even if you don't like the price or something else about Capture One, their videos can still be informative about techniques for how to achieve certain effects. Just translate them to the tool you use.

Latest threads

Top Bottom