DXO purchase options

I am in the process of getting a new laptop and I think it’s time to look at a new editing program platform. I will still be keeping my old faithful W7 laptop that has NX2. I know W10 is compatible with NX2 but I want to go further and take advantage of the 12 GB of RAM in my new machine. I think the DXO platform will suit my needs, it seems similar to NX2 but also has the option of using the Nik technology which I have in my old machine. Do any of the DXO packages include the Nik plug ins or are they two separate downloads? I see there is a new DXO Photo Lab 2, as well.

I think they are separate purchases but I'm still using the old free Nik Suite and the new Dx0 PL2 but I only use PL2 for NR as it is the best but the whole tool reminds me of LR minus the Catalog.

Real Name
Ian
If you're buying DXO, make sure to buy the more expensive one as it includes the PRIME noise reduction.

DXO is my primary RAW editor, and I'm pleased with it for the vast majority of my work. There are things I miss from Lightroom (radial filter, pano-stitching, hdr-merging, edge-detect masking that actually works, etc.). But I refuse to line the pockets of Adobe's executives, so when they switched to a subscription-only model, I made the switch.

One thing I will say is that the images coming out of DXO are sharper and have less noise than what I would getting out of LR.

I was able to get the Google Nik collection when it was free - that’s in my old machine. I have determined I could not live without that package:) Thanks for the responses.

I have decided I will get the Nik package from DXO at the very least - I can still use NX2 with W10. I am just so used to it. I may purchase Photolab at another time - it’s a rather lofty expense to buy a new machine and a few accessories. If I start using Nikon bodies that do not support NX2, I will have no choice but to upgrade my editing software.

Sounds like you made your decision, but I thought I'd put in another plug for DxO PL2. I got it specifically because of its similarity to NX2, or that it is "like Lightroom without the catalog" as Randy says. It serves all of my raw conversion and editing needs very well.

I will probably get that in due time. At some point, I’ll have to upgrade to newer bodies - or go to another system. Perhaps Nikon’s APS-C mirrorless cameras will be my target.

Real Name
David
I've looked at DXO and although I like what I see, it's a non starter for. It doesn't support Fuji Xtrans sensors.

I know this isn't an issue for many, but just be aware of it.

I think anyone should use the trail period option of a software product before committing to it.

DxO has a page where you can ask to add support for cameras and/or camera-lens combinations.
And they do follow up on this.

I've looked at DXO and although I like what I see, it's a non starter for. It doesn't support Fuji Xtrans sensors.

I know this isn't an issue for many, but just be aware of it.

Real Name
David
Yes, I can imaging it would be a huge investment to create a specific raw converter for this type of sensor.
They never included support for the monochrome sensors either.

Real Name
David
I read this as "it's not worth the development expense for the relatively small population of Fuji cameras"
Yes, I can imaging it would be a huge investment to create a specific raw converter for this type of sensor.
They never included support for the monochrome sensors either.
I think you have to add "not worth it now" or "not worth it in our current financial position". They do support the D2H JFET sensor and Fuji SuperCCD SR I/II and I'm sure those sold is much lower numbers than 20 odd cameras Fuji has released with XTrans sensors.

I've stayed with older cameras specifically so I can continue to us NX2, but I have been usind DXO (now PhotoLab2) alongside it for years. I currently often us DXO on raw, then export as a TIFF, and use NX2 (since I am reasonably proficient at it) to make any remaining adjustments directly to the TIFF, which then serves as the master file. As I get more familiar with the newer capabilities of PL2 I may change to eliminate NX2. Of course, then I will get the camera upgrade bug!:rolleyes:

Just hooked up a new Asus external optical drive to my new machine to transfer NX2 - during the setup, I got a message about needing a .NET file. I was not on the internet so I couldn’t proceed any further - I assume I will find the necessary file. There was the option to continue without the file but the message box says the installation may not work.

Once NX2 is nestled in there, I will download the trial version of Nik.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom