DxO's Nik Collection New Version 3.0

I just now went through the entire process and everything worked fine at the discounted price. Double check that you didn't accidentally click on an upgrade button to DxO's basic software (I can't remember its name) as opposed its Nik Collection. If that's not the problem, consider contacting DxO.
I was careful about clicking on the right Nik Collection...but something seems to be amiss

I am presently using the old "free" version from google. I actually purchased this eons ago from nik as well. I have the free version still working well with windows 10 and the latest photoshop versions. Looking at "repurchasing" from dxo just to stay current, and try the new focus plugin.
Question: Do I need to somehow uninstall the old nik before I install the new version, or will it find and overwrite it. I don't want photoshop to have 2 nik systems running. Not sure how to safely proceed.
Thanks to the drinking club, which may need to be activated.
Gary

I bought it at the discounted price, it showed a full price ($79) until I got to the pay page where they applied the discount bringing it down to $60. I had some money sitting in Paypal from selling some bike parts and used that. Seemed to work.

Real Name
Ken St John
I mainly use Nik for B&W work (Silver Efex Pro 2) and this "new" version doesn't seem much different from the older "free" version I had been using. The new tools are cool, but I'm not sure I'd use them very often. Am I missing something?

Ken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I mainly use Nik for B&W work (Silver Efex Pro 2) and this "new" version doesn't seem much different from the older "free" version I had been using. The new tools are cool, but I'm not sure I'd use them very often. Am I missing something?
This set of tools is just like any set: If you have a need for them, they're great; if not, they're a waste.

You already use Silver Efex Pro 2. I haven't noticed any difference between Pro 2 and Pro 3 once you have launched the plug-in.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the new version did properly replace the old free google version in photoshop cc during routine install.
Ken, I too was using the free version- although I did buy the original version from nik years ago. I agree, I do not see much difference. So why did I upgrade? Great question. I am moving much of my color processing to dxo, so just wanted to keep everything up to date and supported I guess. I do not like dxo for my black and white work, although I do use silver efex once in a while.
Gary

I'm confused. This is a new release? I purchased DXO Lab Elite 3 back in November that included the Nik plugins. When I follow the link in this original link and check for upgrades I'm told that my version is up to date.
Just now when I went into DXO PL Elite 3 to do some editing, there was a notification that a new version was available, 3.3, and it specifically mentioned compatibility with NIK Collection 3, including access to the new Efex Perspective Plug-in, etc. I downloaded and installed the new update, but haven't yet explored the changes to Efex Collection and Efex Silver Pro, etc. So if you haven't already, go into your DXO Photolab Elite 3 and you should see notification of the software update or some indication that it has already been updated if you have indicated in your preferences that you want it done automatically.

Just now when I went into DXO PL Elite 3 to do some editing, there was a notification that a new version was available, 3.3, and it specifically mentioned compatibility with NIK Collection 3, including access to the new Efex Perspective Plug-in, etc. I downloaded and installed the new update, but haven't yet explored the changes to Efex Collection and Efex Silver Pro, etc. So if you haven't already, go into your DXO Photolab Elite 3 and you should see notification of the software update or some indication that it has already been updated if you have indicated in your preferences that you want it done automatically.
Updating to Dxo 3.3 is free and does not include the NIk 3 updates.

I have the 3.3 DxO PhotoLab Elite update and agree it doesn't include Nik 3 updates. ... I contacted customer service at DXO
There recommendation:
"thank you for writing. If you have not already done so, please log into your online account with us at

https://shop.dxo.com/login_upgrade.php?CountryShow=International

Next, please click on the Nik upgrade link. The system will automatically calculate any discounts that can be applied to your purchase of Nik Collection 3 for you."
I did that! On the page that includes all of my DXO purchases I have DxO PhotoLab 3 Elite. When I click on any "upgrade" icon, whether it be in Nik Software page or the page that has my purchase profile. It keeps bringing me back to the purchase profile page..ie doesn't work. The only option to click on that works is "Buy" icon, for $99.99. USD. then when I enter the required financial information ( expecting a discount to appear) the price is still $99.99 USD. So...my questions are:1 is the discount only for US citizens? and the Nik plugins were part of the Elite version originally purchased in November. So again, does the upgrade not apply? They were not a stand alone purchase

That $100 price you're getting is a discount from $150. That's the promotional price going on right now for licensing it without the benefit of an upgrade. Maybe contact them to explain that you have the license for Nik 2 and don't understand why you're not being provided the upgrade price.

When you're at the page that displays your license for PhotoLab 3 Elite, does it also display you license for the Nik Collection 2? If not, that's the problem. If so, I have no idea why you're not being provided the current upgrade price.
No it doesn't display the license for Nik Collection 2. Which explains all of the confusion of why I'm having problems upgrading the Nik collection

Ah.....I am out on the deck right now with the iPad and the computer isn’t on so can’t look but obviously I have something different than the “Elite” version, then? My download of the update was free, and included the Nik 3 update as well. Bought the program back in November 2019.....

OK, safely back in the house, having had to hurriedly decamp from the deck when lighting started happening......

I purchased the top tier version, so I think I probably have the Pro version of DXO, which did indeed include the NIK software as part of the package. I didn’t get around to exploring that for a while and even now don’t use it all that much. When I can get back on the computer safely, I’ll check by opening up DXO to see the version and the exact name of what I have, plus also look to see if Silver Efex or other NIK programs have indeed been updated. This would all be within the DXO program, though, not looking separately at the NIK update outside of that program, which is another function and another type of offering. I suspect some of the confusion in this thread is due to the two different types of offerings, not to mention that also this would be on two different OS platforms as well.

ETA: Checked the email account that I had used to order the software in the first place and found that I do have the “Elite” version. I also found another email regarding my download and installation of the NIK software as well, so it does seem as though these were two separate transactions even as I was getting both together as one package, more or less......

I’ll just have to wait until i can get back into the computer again and check to see which version of the NIK software I actually have now. Since I don’t use it all that frequently, I probably would not pay to download and install the newest version now and would continue with the one that’s already in there and associated with DXO.

Last edited:
FINALLY it was safe to turn the computer back on again and I have gone into DXO and promptly opened the NIK plug-in section to see what I actually have now.....and yes, it is still version/Collection 2. For me, no big deal, since I don't use the program all that much anyway, but it would be nice if there were a smooth, clearly indicated way for people who are already DXO Photolab 3 owners to transition to version 3 if they want to do so! Without having the license key info for Collection 2, that definitely does complicate matters. My guess is that now we are meant to purchase the new version and pay the full price.....

it would be nice if there were a smooth, clearly indicated way for people who are already DXO Photolab 3 owners to transition to version 3 if they want to do so! Without having the license key info for Collection 2, that definitely does complicate matters.
I don't license DXO but I do license Nik Collection 2 and I didn't need any license key info to get the upgrade to Collection 3. Everything about it was smooth and easy. I can't imagine the plan is any different for DxO users. Bob's situation is surely an anomaly.

Having said that, I always maintain a record of all license keys and software purchases just in case I have to someday prove that I'm the legitimate owner of a license. Indeed, in the days of using Nikon Capture NX and NX2, there were situations when the only method of upgrading software or reinstalling software required typing an activation code. I also maintain a directory on my computer of all software installers just in case something goes wonky and I don't have access to download one from a developer's website.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom