Dynamic area focus D3, how do you select the 9,21,51 AF points?

So I'm coming from the D300. On the D300 you can select the dynamic area focus points via the

|Function Button| + |Command Dial|

But how do you do it on the D3 without using the menu? I can't seem to find it in the D3 manual. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
On the D300 it is in the menu a3. I have mine set so I can make the changes via the FN option which is f4 on the D300.

Nancy

Just like the D300, on the D3 it's option f4 on the Custom Setting menu...."Assign FUNC. button". One of the options for "FUNC. button + dials" is "Focus point-selection". Have to admit that I haven't actually tried it....

Hi Rick,

I've tried that option but it only changes the focal point, not the group dynamic option of 9, 21, 51. It's really bugging me. Maybe I got a bug on my D3?

Maybe you are pushing or using the wrong dial or dials. The focus point can only be changed using the direction pad. I have mine set up by pressing the Fn button, user-assignable Functions button, while using the front or back command dials changes the option from 9 to 21 to 51, and so forth.

Nancy

I don't see that option under the F4 menu. I remember my D300 having that option in Function button section, but I don't see it in there. I put the setting in my custom setting menu, but it's an unnecessary hassle.

On my D3 it is under custom setting menu A3.

I know it's in A3, but what I'm saying is that you can set the Function Button and Command Dial to do it on the D300, I was so use to using it like that. I don't think the D3 has that option. It would of been nice to set the Preview Button to handle FX/DX mode and the Function Button to handle the Dynamic Group focus options. Oh well, I put it in my Custom Setting Menu!

Jonathan, I just downloaded the D3 manual and you are right. There is no option for doing this on the D3, which is a bummer, for I use it on the D300 all the time.

Nancy

Very odd. While there is no mention of this in the D3 manual, the setting is there on the f4 custom setting menu on my D3. Looks exactly like the setting on my D300. What version of the D3 firmware do you have? I'm at the latest, v2.0.

All that said, I tried actually using this setting, and it doesn't seem to work. Holding down the Fn button and spinning the command dial doesn't change the focus area.

Nikon giveth, and Nikon taketh away.....

It's not there. This is a feature that is on the D300 only. The D3 doesn't allow the option. While it might now be a big deal for some, it is quite handy on various shooting situations. I like being able to do it on the fly, but you can't have it all! Makes me think that there are different teams working on different bodies. Maybe they only try to meet the bare minimum when it comes to the broad camera settings?

Very odd. While there is no mention of this in the D3 manual, the setting is there on the f4 custom setting menu on my D3. Looks exactly like the setting on my D300. What version of the D3 firmware do you have? I'm at the latest, v2.0.

All that said, I tried actually using this setting, and it doesn't seem to work. Holding down the Fn button and spinning the command dial doesn't change the focus area.

Nikon giveth, and Nikon taketh away.....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom