Dynamic Auto-focus in a Nikon D5

Carrying these experiments a bit further - here is a shot taken with the D5 and the 28 1.4e. The first is processed in ACR/PS; middle photo in Capture One 2018 Beta/PS; last shot with DxO Photo Lab/PS. The only processing in PS, done to all three, was the same degree of smart sharpening and a final auto curve. I tried to keep the processing to the basics: white balance/tone/sharpening. In the case of the ACR process, I used a custom camera color setting; all others were stock.

What do you think? I prefer the DxO shot, actually.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
The color difference is what I really notice in these 3 versions. Version 1 seems to have a more neutral color balance while #2 is somewhat redder. Both are very close, however,

#3 seems to have a brighter green colorization and much less red. At first I didn't like this one the best, but as I studied the images more, I do believe I prefer it. Now #1 and 2 seem very red.

But the sky has a lot of cyan (I think...it's more turquoise). #1 sky is a bit purple....#2 sky is more of a south-west sky.....bright blue.

The D5 has three Auto WB settings: Normal, Preserve Whites, Warmer.
Those make quite a difference to the opening "As Shot" rendering.

Then, using your custom Camera Profile, how are you selecting your WB in the Converter?

If you didn't shoot a grey card or the ColorChecker Passport at the scene, clicking the eye-dropper on a Black can be better than clicking on on a White object.
(I sincerely trust that you are not using the Auto WB at that stage and making a judgement based on that??!!!)

If you don't like the rendering from your own Camera Profile, try some of the others which are provided and not just Adobe Standard.

You should be able to get any rendering you want from any of the RAW Converters and you should never be using either Auto WB nor Auto Tone in the Converter except perhaps as a starting point — and definitely not be making an "Auto" rendering your reason for choosing one software over another!

The choice of a Converter should only be influenced by how quickly and efficiently you can achieve your desired results with it and how well it integrates with Photoshop for later fine-tuning and output because one can get the same results from any of them depending on how one drives them.

So in your case, decide on what you want to achieve and then use the tols and settings to get there in whichever Converter is tooled-up in the way which best-suits you.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom