Dynamic or Static Focus Area in D2X

In AF-C mode which focus area selection is preferred ? I normally shot on Dynamic, but have been reading of people preferring static or single area focus. What is the general consensus on this ? Thanks

I'm still trying to decide on this myself. I typically start off with single area focus but then switch to one of the others thinking it'll help in tracking a bird in flight. I usually end up switching back to single even though it's tough to keep the center focus area on the flying bird.

I just did a trial on a fast moving car heading to me with AF-C, Single Area and Focus Priority. I took around 5 shots of the cars number plate and in all of them the numbers were readable clearly.
I had posted a query here sometime back if the AF-ON button should be continuosly pressed, well I am doing just that , and the results are much better now. But I wish someone could advice/guide us on these two modes.

I use...

For non moving subjects, AF-S, single area

For flight shots, AF-C, single area dynamic or group, depending on the background, size of the target, etc.

I will not use group if there is a background such as trees or water because the camera will grab that rather than the subject unless the subject is quite large relative to the entire scene.

Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply. Honestly you are one of the people whose work I admire and hold in very high esteem and was very keenly following the focus issues which you had in your first D2X and people had just ridiculed it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom