E-mail problem after processing image in CS4

I have the NX2 software package, and have recently added PS CS4 onto my computer. If I employ CS4 to process an image then attach that image to an e-mail, I have noticed that when the image is opened, it opens in NX2.
I am keen for the recipent of such e-mails to open the attached image in PS. Can someone please describe how I can achieve that.

I would have thought (I now know wrongly)that if I had processed via CS4, the attachment would have opened in Photoshop.

Howard

What's happening is that your own computer is set to open JPEG files into NX2 by default, following your NX2 installation, something that CS4 left alone (which is a good thing). Other people's computers (such as when you send an email) may choose to open JPEG files with other programs, including some you don't have on your own computer. There is nothing to fret about. The JPEG format is nearly universal.

If you are talking about NEF files, the situation is slightly different, as there are fewer programs able to open NEF files than JPEG, and each one can treat and render the NEF file differently. In that case, you'd better tell your email correspondent what to expect (and which program to use).

At any rate, there is nothing you can do in the email itself to cause the association of file type and program at the other end to change. You could change your computer such that it opens JPEG files with CS4, but don't expect that to affect someone else's computer. The procedure to do that varies depending on whether you are on a PC or on a Mac as this setting is retained by the operating system.

Thank you for the information Philippe.

This 'problem' occurred whilst sending a jpeg image, via e-mail, to a magazine editor. They obviously deal within PS and one of their requests is that the'file info' section is completed in all cases. I had completed this section within PS but as mentioned in my original post, I was surprised that the attachment was opening in nx2. After a further e-mail sent to the magazine, they eventually found the info they required but the system obviously hadn't been as straightforward as they would have liked. I would prefer to remain within the PS system, would this be best achieved by uninstalling nx2?

Thanks again.

Howard

If you use Windows, open a Windows Explorer window (eg My Documents). In the Tools menu, select "Folder Options" and then the "File Types" tab. Navigate until you find the .JPG extension and hit the Change button. From then pick PS and make sure that the "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" checkbox is selected. Click Ok (twice) to close everything. You don't need to uninstall NX2.

The instructions above are for XP (I don't have Vista), but should be fairly similar. If you have a Mac, I don't know how to do the equivalent. Perhaps, right-click (command-click) on a JPEG file and see if something comes up in the context menu?

Philippe

I have a PC with XP.
I have followed your instructions and you have solved my problem.

Sir, you are a genius.

Regards

Howard

Howard,

Ah! Yes, I have been told that a lot, LOL! :Smart::rolleyes::biggrin:

Glad you got your problem sorted out. Remember though, that this only affects what you see on your computer. Anyone to whom you send an email containing a JPEG file will still see their own default program open the image, and that may not be Photoshop.

Latest threads

Top Bottom