1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E500 | D40

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InlineSix, Sep 21, 2008.

1. InlineSix

InlineSix Guest

another annoying thread, i know but bare with me.

is there a good reason for me to get the Nikon D40 instead of my Olympus E500?

or should i keep the E500 and get a better lens?

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    There's your reason right there :smile:

Olympus makes great cameras and the quality of Zuiko lenses is undisputed. But the choice -as I understand- is fairly limited.

Your question was: "is there any reason to switch" - and my answer to that is: more choice in lenses.

But I think your real question is: "should I switch" and that is a lot harder to answer.

The Olympus E-series is very compact and small. Granted, the D40/60 isn't that much larger, but all other Nikons are. If you're attached to small-sized cameras, then I wouldn't switch - Olympus has a lot more to offer in that segment.

If size is not an issue, switching is definitely worth considering. I came from Minolta, and the Maxxum DSLR's had in my mind a slight edge over Nikon when it comes to ergonomics.
    But, in this day and age... not being with "the big two" means limited choice in lenses - especially with the 4/3 mount! - and usually a limited choice in other accesories as well. And if Nikon doesn't make it, someone else will - the market of Nikon-mount cameras is big enough for that.

I'm not saying that you should switch. But I'm very happy that I did.

3. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

imho the consumer level slrs oly makes have more features than the d 40 60-80 ect.besides just because nikon offers lots of lens choices dosent mean you can afford them.

4. InlineSix

InlineSix Guest

Diddlbiker, thank you for your input!

And do you have any idea of what lens i should get?
    And how can I tell if it will be a better quality lens that my zuiko 40-150mm?

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    so all you have right now is an Olympus with just one lens, a telephoto?

The big two, Nikon and Canon, have a huge advantage when it comes to low light performance, with much faster lenses and better high ISO performance. The viewfinders on the Olympus are also really tiny. Other than that, Olympus is just fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.