Eagle banding slide show

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Apr 2, 2007.

1. I can’t put a description on each photo so if you have a question please feel free to ask me in a reply, PM or email. All my contact info is on my home page www.loubuscher.com
    However let me give you a start as in the second photo it shows the female while incubating and in the next she is feeding her triplets as she just came in with a fish. I am located about 600 feet upriver where I took this photo of her feeding with my 800mm and a Canon 20D off the roof of my Outback. The next shows the banding crew coming in from another direction and Pete Nye (head of the Endangered Species Unit NYSDEC) stops them as he sees my wave that they are feeding so the work stops for a while.
    The rest you will get an idea of what goes on and I am sure you will ask what that is Pete is throwing out of the nest, well it’s the remains of a muskrat. Again feel free to ask. Here’s the link
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/tags/banding/show/

PS Note this is a Sycamore tree (smooth bark) so no climbers are used on it. The climb takes place like rock climbing.
    Lou

2. I am finding it hard to believe that with all the people that look to photograph the bale eagle they would not find the time to make a comment or ask one question about this process of banding which has been a big factor in the reastablishment of the bald eagle here in New York and the eastern states.
    I would hope it is not because I mentioned a Canon product as I do use both Nikon and Canon equipment. Sorry you did not find this process interesting.
    Lou

3. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

Bummer, going to have to check from home tonight. Work has it blocked...Looking forward to seeing it though.

4. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I just saw them Lou. I've never seen an eagle's nest in real life and your shots are great. Let me ask a dumb question - how has banding helped the reastablishment effort? I would guess that the ability to track numbers was important in protecting them.

thanks,

Chris

5. Thanks Doug and I hope you find it interesting.
    Lou

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Lou
    I was gone all day on the 2nd and missed this. As you know I always look and read.
    I do understand the banding and why. Perhaps why I haven't asked:)))
    The images and slide show is great.
    They are so cute.lolol in an ugly sort of way. but really great to see. i sure will never see the ones in the nest.....
    Thank You for posting these.

7. Blue

Blue Guest

I have to try multiple times before I realized that my connection at work has all kind of firewalls and take super long to download the slides. I hope these birds appreciate how much dedication is going on to keep them in existence :smile: . Thank you for all your hard work, and your buddies too. Btw, I love #7 (with mom in the nest), that must be a nikonian lens :smile:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ohhh Yeah for got to say
    Mom and Dad were not happy campers with people in thier nest!!!!!!!!!lolol

9. Chris, First of all no question about the bald eagle is dumb, and by that I mean the answer helps spread the truth about our American Symbol and the main reason we have them now to photograph in areas that they had abandoned years ago.
    Here in New York a banding process was started in the mid 1970s which at that time we had very few to band. And with the survival rate of only 16% to adult hood and sexual maturity so new breeding could occur made it a long road. (On my web is a link called still soaring, take a look if you can, www.loubuscher.com).
    Banding was done at the age of 5 to6 weeks and with good optics and some photos we have been able to ID birds that we knew where they came from and how old they were.
    We found that the female would nest much further from her birth nest than the male she had for a mate. I have a nest I watch where they have been raising young since 2002 and with the aid of a telescope the band # on the female told us she came from a nest I monitor about 100 miles away and to the north of our State. Last December I made three trips down to the Conowingo Dam in Maryland as many eagles gather there for the food. 4 N.Y. birds were found there by different photographers and I was ask to help ID them for their records which I did and one was a 31/2 year old which earned the name of Miss N.Y. from the photogs there. (She was from a nest in Sullivan County and one of 3 banded) All possible because N.Y bands 95% of its birds and we use a blue band along with a federal band. Look at these 2 attached photos, one shows the band in blue and the other silver one is the federal and as you can see we can read the # on this young female so it tells us everything about her including she is making it through the winter. The other is an eagle’s egg. Removed from a nest that was disturbed by man and drove the eagle off
    Hopes this helps and we are now starting a DNA program this year for our eagles so we can even go further with an ID even on a dead bird. BTW I did shoot that young eagle and band with a D2H and Sigma 800
    Lou

10. 446181166_7a8f74859f_o.
    Young female showing band # which tel us all

View attachment 88083
    A bald eagles egg which was retrieved from a nest that was disturbed by man and drove the eagles off.
    Lou

11. Gale I thank you for looking back and seeing it as I was kind of sure people would enjoy it. As a matter of fact some people had ask me to make one up and I did but no one came to my party. I though O God I said I used Canon equipment.
    Lou

12. Thank you Blue, I think Mom has already left the nest as that is her on the way out in I think #9 (I got numbers screwed up) and the eagle you see is one of the young as it is becomming aware that Pete is just below the nest and will now try and find the farthest part of the nest from him.
    Sorry to say I shot this event with Canon
    Lou

13. Thanks Gale but the biggest danger is not from the parents but from that little bundle of fuzz Pete is holding up for me. Again this photo I took from about 450 feet with a D2H and Sigma 800 all balanced on my hard maple surveyor’s tripod

Meet Pete Nye Leader of our Endangered Species Unit here in New York. As of 2005 Pete has climbed over 800 trees to eagles nests in New York, Canada, and Alaska, which is where it all started for eagles in the lower 48. In 2006 Pete banded a record 111 eaglets here in New York. Just think how high up is an eagles nest???
    446222140_a0f59cee7b_o.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Does not matter at all here what you shoot em with as long as it isn't a gun...lolol
    The recording of the gorgeous Eagle and any of our, especially endangered animals and birds is very important.
    I just missed the post.
    I was out shooting birds at the rookery at St Augustine all that day.

This is the only image i have posted so far.
    My eyes are driving me nuts and hard to process anymore right now so will be a few days before I get any more up on the gallery

Not an Eagle though..:>)))

http://www.pbase.com/techwish/image/76616475

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am sure they can give quite a bite Lou.

Pete is brave going up those trees. That is not kids play

16. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I'm surprised at how shallow the nest appears judging from the pic taken by Pete I assume? ( a heckuva view most of us will never see ) Is this a new nest or several years old?

17. Beautiful display of wanting to make love why it's almost as nice as my Tom turkeys strutting his stuff:biggrin: :biggrin: JUst Kiding Gale a very nice photo and I might add quite sharp.
    Lou

18. Yes but the real danger of any raptor is those talons even at 6 weeks. Many times the banding person comes down with some blood and it's not the eagles.
    Lou
    PS He also likes to climb cliffs. This guy has endless fears and talent but when it comes to eagles he is one of the best known techs in the USA. He can hold two huge female eagles before releasing from trapping and banding.
    He is one of the major reasons we now have the bald eagle back here in the lower 48 states and not just N.Y.

19. Andy a good eye. This nest was first built in 2002 and one eaglet was fledged from it. After just the one this pair continued to produce two each year but in 2005 a wind storm blew the nest out and nothing was left. The Town people and the dairy farmer that owns the land had the phones ringing off the hook in Albany and I got a call from Pete to see what the damage was. A one and a half hour drive took me to where I could place my scope on where the nest was and there were still two eaglets hanging out on what was left but they were fine as they were about 20 weeks of age now.
    They rebuilt in 2006 very late and not all that much of a nest and when I saw the third head from my wagon in the scope I though O Boy we need some home improvement. Well it did come for this year as I was there last week and she is incubating and the nest has been added to. As I said back aways this pair now has fledged 11 birds for N.Y.S. and we will wonder what she is sitting on right now as I will be looking for trips again. BTW That very first youngster was found shot in Pa. but the person finding it got it to a rehabber right away and it was rehabbed and released back to the wild. All this info made possible by the band #.
    Lou

20. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

Very intersting, I thouroughly enjoyed that.