Eagle BIF's from Skagit River in Washington

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Greetings all my new forum friends. Merry Christmas to all and the best for the New Year. Since I have been making so many trips this past week to Bellingham to be with my parents, I decided to stop at the upper Skagit yesterday before heading there. I met up with Bill Dewey and it turned out to be a good couple of hours of shooting. The sun came out a little. The eagles were very active yesterday which was much better than my last outing with Bill and Bruce.

You really need a long lens and fast camea there, but once in a while one will fly close to fill the frame. It was a hard day to get a fast enough shutter speed, most of my pictures were at ISO 800. Enjoy and hope to catch up with you all soon.

original.

View attachment 21627

View attachment 21628

View attachment 21629

View attachment 21630

View attachment 21631

View attachment 21633

View attachment 21635

And then I saw this Harrier in the Skagit flats on my way to Bellingham

View attachment 21637

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2005
  2. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Greath shots James. You're making me jealous.

3. Jim, did you notice the beak on the Eagle in your second shot? I have that same sequence, big surprise eh since we were 5 feet apart :wink: , but it looks like there is something caught on the beak to me.

Really nice Harrier.

I got down to work with the Swan Folks and just as we finished up and drove back to the parking lot it started to rain. Great timing I think........

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Excellent work James! 4 & 6 are my faves!

5. Thanks Chris. We are very lucky to have these eagles around. Our problem is getting enough light to get pictures of them. We found a small window yesterday in which to take pictures before the rain came back. They are amazing to watch for sure.

6. Bill, I did notice it. It reminds me of the ones I got earlier this year eating the snow goose. Looks like feathers rather than salmon. We really did luck out with the weather. I did not leave Bellingham until late in the afternoon and it rained the whole way home. Timing is everything.

7. Thanks Steve. Number 4 was my favorite also.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Fanastic Jim. All of them are prime. You did a great job on a very difficult exposures

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

Excellent series. I'm sure jealous of all you folks that have such abundant shooting targets. Still though, you took advantage of the opportunity very well. :wink:

10. More Eagles

Oh my. Now my posting after Jim's will demonstrate the difference between a Pro and a beginner. From the Skagit yesterday. . .lots of eagles. . . .shooting with my D50, new 200-400 VR witha TC 1.4 and part of a new tripod setup (WH not here yet). Not enough reach and focus is a learning experience obviously. None the less, thought this was a unique picture.
    Long Lens Technique- having read all I can find here and other places, a question.
    I believe I was "pushing down" on top of the lens too hard. Is it best to just lay your left hand on top of the lens above the lens foot as opposed to applying pressure downward? Also I discovered at the end of the day the VR had inadvertently been switched off. DSC_0147c.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ricco,

Looks a lot like the first Eagle pics that most of us get. Just keep at it and you'll do fine. The Wimberley will help tremendously.

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I'm so beyond jealousy at this point I will simply not mention it !!!

Excellent shots as Eagle shots should be :wink:

13. Thanks Harry. I sure wish the lighting was set up a bit better. Too much contrast to get great exposures. It is a learning experience for sure. They are so fun to watch, I don't feel too bad even when I can't get it in print.

14. Thanks Frank. They aren't as good as yours, but it made for a fun morning and I had great company with Bill. All the best for the holidays. Some day, I might get out to your part ofthe country.

15. Wowza!! :eek: These are beauties! #4 is incredible!!

17. Thanks Kevin. I just printed it out and I was amazed at how well it looked in print. Take care and all the best for the holidays as well.

18. Mr Ricco, we must have been there close to the same time. We were shooting from the fisherman's access until around 10:00 am. When were you there?

Have you read the post by Andreas on long lens technique? It is a great read. Look for it in this forum.[/QUOTE]

Arrived at about noon.. . . the reserve off #530 just before Rockport.

Yes, I have it "saved" and have read it numerous times.

19. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Nice work Jim,I finally saw one fly over the other day.Not within good range but at least I know they're in the area.Numbers 4 and 5 are spot on.

20. Thanks Ben. It is a trade off as we have now had two solid days of rain, and it looks like rain for the next week. We are lucky to have any clear days to even see these guys. All the best.