Eagle, GB Heron, Egret, Pelican

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Some recent birds from the last week, The eagle is the best in my opinion, the evening light just lit up her underbelly with a nice tone, and the pastel skies behind were nice.

the others, well,... these birds are a bit skittish, even with my 200-400VR and 1.4 attached, it is hard to get close. It has been difficult getting some real keepers. All shots handheld. D70.

thanks for looking,

Wade

[​IMG]

this one I call Devil Heron!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A different egret, on the fly getting away from fella with big black thing in hand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Very nice shots, Wade! I'm jealous of your 200-400VR! Come down to FL and I'll show you the perfect place to use it!!! ;)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images. Eagle looks great.
    Devil GBH...lol Awwwwww

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Well done, Wade! Like Kevin, I know some great places in Texas where that 200-400 would really be handy to have for some bird action! Number one on my LLD list!! Great shots!

5. Nice shots and I agree about the eagle shot very well done each is nice in its own respect

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Wade. Every one is good, but I just love the Eagle in flight shot. I have a few, but none this close.

Well done.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I think these are very good. My favorite is the pelican. Keep shooting away!!!!!

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I may take you up on that, i even suspect that place might be on a piece of equipment? ;) but I think I will wait until the "winds" die down a bit! lol. My parents have a place in West Palm beach, survived two of the storms last year.

Wade

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    yes, when I saw them standing up in the air, I just smiled and clicked. lol

Thanks Gale

Wade

10. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    you do have some great places to visit, and your photos are just dynamite!

Thanks,

Wade

11. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Mike and Frank, thanks, for the comments, Being close to a nest has been great this year, we had a young eagle couple nest next to a major HWY, chicks are fledged and out and about, but they still are staying close to the nest. and they don't mind folks who stay on the HWY shoulder. Most of the time they take off over the slough and if they go to the river go way south or north of our position, but once in a while they fly right next to us. Pretty unique for Mississippi river Birds, usually they are pretty skittish, but these and the chicks don't seem to mind road traffic, harleys, and photographers. It has been a once in a lifetime experience being allowed this close, Usually it has been 250-300yds or more to a nest. I have never had opportunities like this before.

Thanks,

Wade

12. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Terri,

thanks for the Pel comment, I almost didn't post that image due to the distractions on the left side, but after some careful cropping I got a look I was happy with, i just took out the worst of the branches on the left side and left those three in to provide a perspective for the shot.

some other pelican shots:

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/.Pictures/Birds_Mammals/pelican pair.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/.Pictures/Birds_Mammals/single pelican.JPG

I consider these my best to date, I have printed these up to 10x15 even though they are crops, and are quite nice. It sure is hard to get good white pelican and Egret shots without blowing the highlights! :)

Terri, by the way, your images on your site are great, I like seeing a good prosumer camera (your 8080) proving that they can take stunning images too. And you sure do have your D70 dialed in nice. Excellent.

Wade

13. I really like the fourth one

14. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks, Gilles, I liked the color contrast on that shot.

Wade