1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Eagle Nature (warning on view)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Apr 7, 2007.

1. This is a slide show of a female eagle I watched in February 2006. A bit on the gruesome side but it is nature. If you’re a dog lover you may find this a bit sad or for that matter even if you’re not you may, as I did.
    I was about 350 to 400 feet from the sight I saw on the ice of this NYC reservoir. At first I thought it was a deer but with the aid of my scope I could see it was a dog and not a plain old wild dog but I am sure someone’s pet as later it proved to be a Chocolate Lab. (Later ID by my friend a Sergeant on the DEP Police and a lab owner) The dog must have walked out on the ice and fell in and than could not get out and it must have drowned and froze in to the ice. The following photos were taken from the fence of the reservoir and about 400 feet from me as the large local female took her turn at trying to pull the dog from the ice. The male had been there and was a few hundred feet away taking a bath.
    Here he is bathing after his meal on the end of the show
    I used a 500mm f4 + a 1.4 TE off a monopod.
    Lou

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/sets/72157600054230526/show/

2. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    "I was about 350 to 400 feet from the sight I saw on the ice of this NYC reservoir. "

Hey Lou,

Where in NY were you? How far from Manhattan?

James

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow you took these.
    I have seen this before.
    Nature. Well what can I say

4. HI Jim well I do monitor several nests for the DEC endangered species unit and I get to see a lot of things eagles do . This one I can tell you a location as it has an official bald eagle watch and it's on the Rondout Reservior on Rt. 55A which is off Rt. 55 and is in both Sullervan and Ulster county. NYC warersheds are protected by the DEP Police and you can enter them in for fishing with a free permit from the city and a valid fishing licence. You may run into trouble with a large lens and camera if on their property. However from the eagle watch you would have no trouble and the birds will (may even be now) incubating. and can be photographed from the fence at the watch. I would guess from Manhattan it would take no more than 2 hours but I am not to familiar with the city. I would think the Thruway to Kingston (exit 19) and Rt. 209 west to rt. 55 and than onto rt. 55A and the watch is on 55A. Enjoy them as many people do. They are a great pair of birds and the female born in 1996 in a nest I monitor about 100 miles north.
    Lou

5. Yes Gale I did take them and I felt bad after we found it was a Lab. But it did feed this pair of birds for a good while. I also found another series that is quite full of action as it is a territorial thing and by this same female.
    Thanks for the look.
    Lou

6. Jim Google Gramamsville, 12740 in New York and it should show you both the Neversink and the Rondout. You want Rt. 55A as it loops around the reservior.
    Should be a good oppertunity now if they are nesting and the switch on the eggs and the male bringing in the food. Have patience and spend the day. From abou noon on to sunset is the best time for the light as it will work over and than behind you.
    Lou

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.