Eagle nesting starts 2007

Finally got out to start checking on some eagle nests. Found the one incubating and also the Dairy Farmer had a Cooper Hawk in his Calf barn for the entire winter. It took care of many starlings and Grackles. He even left the door open a bit in case it wanted to get out but it remained in the barn for most of the winter. The weather was not good as there was fog and nesting eagles require very long distance to prevent disturbance.
It's the law
Lou

1 Cooper in barn
437053280_64503b0dcc_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 Nest at Full Frame from about 350 feet
View attachment 87361

WOW! Lucky farmer! Lucky you to get such wonderful photos!

Hi Dianne

Well not really that lucky as I know these birds since their first nesting in 2002 on this bottomland dairy farm. They so far have produced 11 eaglets for the state of N.Y. and last year had triplets and the year before had twins and we found another egg in their nest unhatched. Here is a photo of the triplets from last year. Notice the difference in the plumage, as the one on the left has to be the last born, as there is a 2 to 3 day interval on the egg laying and about a 35-day incubation period.
Lou

Photo is not for reuse as it is the property of the NYS DEC and is used for educational and info purposes only.
I am permitted to use it for this purpose.

Lou
437577620_360cf13983_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WOW, Lou! I still say you're lucky! Not everyone gets to do what you're doing! Beautiful babies! It's amazing too, how they'll look when fully grown! Please keep em comin when you can and be careful out there!

WOW, Lou! I still say you're lucky! Not everyone gets to do what you're doing! Beautiful babies! It's amazing too, how they'll look when fully grown! Please keep em comin when you can and be careful out there!

Your righr Dianne I am lucky but I have also helped make my luck with much hard work over the years as a volenteer and a trust I earned for the birds and their protection. OK Gale ask about did they make it??? Well I'll post some now for you to see if you care to.
Lou

Oh my...:>)))
Did all three eaglets make it.

Nice shots
Thanks for sharing.

Did they make it, Gale asked. OK Gale I am posting 10 photos for you to judge for your self and thank you for looking and always feel free to ask me anything you need to know about eagles and if I don't know I can find out for you.
Lou

Latest threads

Top Bottom