1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Eagles and Eagle chicks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Jun 4, 2007.

1. This past Saturday Bill Dewey and me went out looking for GBH and some shorebirds, but much to our surprise and delight we ran into eagles. Here's a few of the nest with a chick in showing its head and a few of mama or papa standing watch.

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    700mm    f/7.1    1/640s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    700mm    f/7.1    1/750s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    700mm    f/7.1    1/640s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    500mm    f/7.1    1/640s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    700mm    f/7.1    1/750s    ISO 250

Louie

2. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Nice job Louie,
    The adult is so stately posed and the eaglets.....wow...brand new!

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Wonderful Louie, I love the pose in the 3rd shot.

4. Outstanding Louie!

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hey Louis,

Do you think the blackbird in the third image did something nasty to make the eagle turn his nose up? :biggrin: I almost didn't see the blackbird! Outstanding images!

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Oh my Louie, these are so special. To be within such close proximity and to have the opportunity to capture these birds.....the superlatives don't do this series justice. :wink:

7. Thanks Chip. The light was a bit harsh for Bill and I but then there was light.

Louie

8. Thanks Harry. We were sure happy that we came across these guys. Now hopefully we'll be able to watch as the chicks grow.

Louie

9. Thansk Frits, I appreciate your comments.

Louie

10. Thanks Andy. Just to tell you how focussed I was I didn't see the black bird until I started to process my images.

Louie

11. Very nice....

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hey,

I tell you after being nestless here (at least close nests) it is good to see some eaglets! nicely done

Wade

13. Great series!!! I'm envious!!

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow nice

15. Wonderful shots you got there Louie. I'm surprised the youngin' already has the "eagle stare" nailed. Was it warm that day? Mini-eagle looks like it might be panting...

16. Outstanding!!!!!!! Those chick shots are wonderful - I usually only see the top of the head and part of the beak at my nesting site. Terrific shots.

17. Fine captures Louie looks like only one eaglet and from the color and size I would guess about 3 to 4 weeks old. Seeing that gracklle in with the eagle is quite common as smaller birds like to hang out at an eagles nest. I have seen blue jays and orioles and even a kingbird rideing on the neck of a female in flight as a matter of fact I have a photo of it. On severay releases of rehabbed eagles we have had RWBB's take right after them. No one really knowes why this happens. Again good series and remember to give them breating room:wink::wink:
    Lou

18. Thanks Frank, I appreciate your commenting. We were pretty fortunate to have been able to shoot from such a location without duly upsetting the eagles.

Louie

19. Thanks Bobber.

Louie

20. Thanks Wade. Bill and I felt quite fortunate to have found such a nest. Hopefully we'll be able to watch, to some extent, as the eaglets grow and share some of that with everyone.

Louie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.