Eagles at Campbell River, Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Birds' started by andreasb, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Campbell River Calls itself the Salmon Capital of the world (or something like that) and it is true they catch a lot of Salmon there but it is also know for having a lot of bald Eagles. So when our dog Pippa decided to wake me up at 5 in the morning today and when I noticed that for the first time in 2 weeks we had glorious weather on the way, I decided to go there. It is about a 2,5 hours drive. I decided not to call Rory this early to see if he wanted to go, it's not him I would be concerened waking up that early, but Gloria...

So I took the dog with me and started driving and saw a few eagles along the way in trees so I stopped along the road, I had the 300 VR ready to go on the now completely out of fashion D2X, using the HSC mode.

They did not like when I stepped out of the car, so I used the sunroof on the next one and came up with this from inside the car...
    Here is a closer crop
    As he came flying down to pick up speed..
    and flew away

So I came to Campbell River, and started to look for Eagles. Rory has shown me the safe places but to no avail, I only saw a few from a distance, so after eating a nice meal at Moxies, I stated driving home along the coast and stopped at several places to try to get eagles in the tress but they where all afraid of the D2X and the 500 so I got no shots of them... I stopped at Oyster Bay and saw lots of ducks and other birds

Butt shot of a Northern Flicker
    and a few small common birds (but I like them)
    and finally the Perpertrator herself: Pippa - the Fat Dog, with the backup D100 and the 300 VR (notice the backfocus...)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2005
  2. Great series Andreas. Man, more eagles. I tried so hard today and came up empty. It looks like you took advantage of a beautiful day. Beautiful dog also.

3. Thanks Jim!

It's Eagle time here until end of February, when the Southerners show us more GBH's we shall battle back with yet more Eagle shots :wink:

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

So what does that leave us poor westies!! :rolleyes: :Shocked:

another great series!!

5. Southerners for us up here in the rain is anyone below the rain belt (South Oregon I suppose.... Why not some more shots of the strange Hawk you saw at Bolsa Chica?

6. Nice shots, Andreas! Man, I just wish I had time to get down to the coast this time of year.:( They showed some of the eagles on BCTV news a week or two ago in the Harrison River going after the spawning salmon. Not as many as Brakendale, but still quite a few.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic shots all of them, incluling the pretty PUP.

8. WOw they are sweet shots Andreas make sure your thank your puppy for waking you up!

9. Great stuff Andreas, beautiful images! I used to come to the Island for business and would fly the short hop from Vancouver to Campbell River. That is also where I saw my first bald eagles in the wild. I was amazed that they could be seen in the trees just off the road near the city.
    Great place to stay: Painters Lodge (if it is still there).

10. Thanks all for the kind comments.

Yes Painters Lodge is still there but it is closed for the winter, yes the only eagles I saw there this time where the one in the trees.

I am grateful to the dog - after all she is the only family member that poses for pictures, the three ladies refuse :)

11. I missed this earlier, glad I looked. wonderful series.
    like your doggie
    Dave

12. Nice shots Andréas! I especially like the crop of the first one.

13. Thanks Dave and Jim I appreciate the kind words!

14. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow.. Those are some incredible photos...

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I thought that I had already responded to this post Andreas (sorry :redface:). Very nice series. I can't wait for our Eagles to show themselves in shootable positions. :rolleyes:

16. Nice Eagles, and a good day for a sunroof :smile: . We are starting to see a few down this way and will start heading to the River in another few weeks, where hopefully we can find some more flyers a bit closer.

As to the Flicker, that "come hither" look over the shoulder, seems a bit cheeky to me........

Nice stuff, and it looks like you did get a great break in the weather as well.

17. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Very nice shots Andreas, and a great story as well!

18. Great eagle shots!!!

19. Great Eagle shots, if I didn't grow up in Michigan I would never have seen them outside of photography books!

20. Hi Andreas

Sorry I missed your post till now. Great series - love the color, satuaration, contrast - heck - love everything, including the frames :smile: