Eagles from the dam today

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I went back over to the Eagle nest at the dam this morning at 6:35 (before sunrise). It was horribly foggy, and although I did get a pretty good landing series, it came out pretty bad because of the weather. I went home, but hadn't been there long when the sun came out. I piled the gear back into the truck and went back to the dam. I'm glad that I did. The Eagle came back to the tree about a half hour after I got there. Here are some samples.

These are a tad soft, because I had the 2.0 TC on the 300 2.8, but they aren't bad. :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going back in the morning, this time with the 1.7 TC. :rolleyes:

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Ah.

These are fine fine shots, sir. Bravo !

Just a suggestion... Try running D-Light on a couple of the shots. I think you'll be suitably pleased with the results on the underside feathers (remember to run it in "Better Quality" mode).

John P.

3. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Wow, it is a beautiful series, they are very sharp on my monitor.

Thanks for sharing

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Another OMG FLEWWWWWWWWWW

that is truly fantastic.

5. but they arent bad............
    sounds like a jim Fenton ploy...
    They are GREAT!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    John,

I've used D-Light in the past, and it does work well. I try to make the processed shot look as much like what I see in person, but I agree these could use a little boost in the dark areas. I'll give it a try and see how I like it. :wink:

7. Frank
    Go to love 8 fps.. great job very cool angle

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank,

I can't remember what your current gear is, but the 200-400 with a 1.4 is just a sweet nest rig! Allows for that zoom when they fly toward you......yes I always try to get folks to buy more gear, that way I am not alone in my lusting and buying. :biggrin:

Bravo on these "not bad shots", I tell you....... some of the folks here are (YOU) ..... just to modest! Superb!

cheers,

Wade

9. Great shots Frank. Sharp enough to see the leg band on the left leg. It must be one that the gov. is tracking. I wish I someday have the chance to get shots like yours of an Eagle.
    Pete

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Com'on, Frank. And Mt. Everest isn't high, either.:rolleyes: Great series! I didn't know your dam has eagles too. What else you got stocked there?

Gordon

11. You did it again, Frank. Great shots.

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank,

Those are super Eagle shots! They are so focused and sharp! I like them and enjoyed seeing them.

Happy New Year 2006 to you and Janie,
    Gaye

13. Frank, these are very, very good. Just to echo John, your exposure is perfect on these shots and you have a lot of room in the shadows. Just working with your posted, resized jpg I was able to extract significant detail in the sixth (my favourite) shot using the photoshop shadow/highlight tool. My settings were Amount=33%, Tonal width=38% and Midtone contrast=+24.

BTW, I asked Jim to send my some of his blue sky after he posted his killer images, so I don't see why you couldn't do the same. :biggrin:

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks to everyone for looking and commenting.

Mike Actually, I was shooting Continuous Low (5 FPS). I've gone back and forth between this setting and Continuous High. Lately I've been shooting at 5.

Wade I'm shooting the 300 AF-S II f/2.8. Normally I shoot with the 1.4 or 1.7 TC, but I was fiddling around shooting some songbirds while waiting for the Eagles to come back, and had the blasted 2.0 mounted. I'm lusting really bad for the 500 or 600 f4, but would definitely like to have a 200-400VR too. :rolleyes:

Pete All of the Eagles in AL are banded. Last I heard, we only had 55 pairs.

Gordon GBH's, Eagles, LGH's, Sandhills, more....:biggrin:

Rory I tried John's suggestion on D-Lighting and thought that it brought out too much noise, but the PS S-H looks much more promising. Thanks to both of you for the inputs. I'm definitely going to look at this next time. :smile:

15. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Frank,
    Nice series. Are the eagles mating already down south? When do they hatch?

Great series.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chip,

Yes, they are mating. We think that this pair laid eggs on the 6th. Should have chicks around the 20th of Jan.

17. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    That sounds about right... 30-40 days incubation. The eagles hatch out here in Mar-Apr but I have been seeing some impresive flight displays from a few local pairs, locking talons and generally having fun. Maybe they will mate earlier this year.

18. Impressive sequence, Frank. And don't look soft at all.

19. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

A tad soft! Yeah right..
    I think you need your eyes checked. Those are wonderful.
    Man those are some of the best I have ever seen.

20. nicely done Frank, you should be very proud...

if you haven't decided it's time to begin printing and framing, these images should put you over the top...