Eagles from the dam today

Flew said:
Rory I tried John's suggestion on D-Lighting and thought that it brought out too much noise, but the PS S-H looks much more promising. Thanks to both of you for the inputs. I'm definitely going to look at this next time. :smile:
Frank :

We should talk sometime about applying D-Light/DEE. Like so much of this, a little goes a long way. I generally would have applied anywhere from 10 - 30 shadow compensation in D-Light with little or no colour boost. The idea is to enhance the available shadow detail without bringing up too much noise.

I need to play a bit more with PS-CS S-H to get equivalent numbers, but the idea's similar. The nice thing about doing this in NC is that one can work with the RAW data more effectively (IMO).

John P.

B

bfjr

Gee I'll take those soft Eagle shots anytime :rolleyes:

You know you've killed me now Frank, burial will be on Tuesday !!:biggrin: :tongue:

Thanks again folks.

John I did try very low levels. The main thing that I don't like about DEE is that is slows down the entire NC application terribly, especially if you choose the higher quality option. OTOH, S/H in PS seems to work as well, has more options for fine-tuning your image, and doesn't seem to exhibit nearly the performance problems of DEE.

I do greatly appreciate the feedback that you and Rory have given me. I didn't even think to use either of these tools on these shots, and they both definitely improved the images. I just kind of like the S/H tools a little better. :smile:

Flew said:
John I did try very low levels. The main thing that I don't like about DEE is that is slows down the entire NC application terribly, especially if you choose the higher quality option. OTOH, S/H in PS seems to work as well, has more options for fine-tuning your image, and doesn't seem to exhibit nearly the performance problems of DEE.

I do greatly appreciate the feedback that you and Rory have given me. I didn't even think to use either of these tools on these shots, and they both definitely improved the images. I just kind of like the S/H tools a little better. :smile:
Frank :

No problem about what tool you choose to use ! What's important is getting the results you want (and, yes, DEE or D-Light, depending on what version of NC you're using, does slow up the machine).

Now. Where are the newly processed shots ? :tongue:

John P.

PJohnP said:
Frank :
Now. Where are the newly processed shots ? :tongue:

John P.

John,

I only got about half of them done before crashing last night, and I went back to the nest this morning. I'll try to finish them up tonight and replace the originals. :smile:

Flew said:
I only got about half of them done before crashing last night, and I went back to the nest this morning. I'll try to finish them up tonight and replace the originals. :smile:
Frank :

On New Year's Eve ? I know we're all a trifle geekish here, but really, guy... Go out and have some fun with the missus, eh ? :biggrin:

And don't worry about replacing all of the earlier shots.

John P.

All fantastic but no 6 has a real predatory feel about it. I think your idea of "soft" differs greatly from mine though! Lovely stuff!

This is to PAUL-- because I already wrote to Frank about these super Eagle pictures in this thread. I've never had an Eagle in my viewfinder and am looking forward to it........

but PAUL, where did you get that cap? ( Nikon Cafe LL Section) - I think we all should have one of those. Patrick, I hope you're looking at this too.

Happy New Year Frank. I am so envious of you. While we have eagles here, we sure as heck don't have any sun to go with them. These are just great and it is really making me sick!!! Keep posting as I always love to see them even if it does tick me off!!!!

Thanks again folks.

Paul I'm with Gaye. Where'd you get the hat? :smile:

Jim No antenna -- he's on wires. :tongue:

Holly maqereau, Frank! I missed that post until now, but these are very very good. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

At this size, the softness, if any, can pass for motion blur... and it doesn't matter one bit (or 12 megapixels!). Talk about some attitude in these shots! Thanks for sharing these, man, and Happy New Year!

Latest threads

Top Bottom