Eagles in Campbell River, BC with Rory

Discussion in 'Birds' started by andreasb, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Rory had the graciousness to come with me yesterday and show me one of the spots where he shoots his eagles. Campbell River, Vancouver Island BC is better know as the "Salmon fishing capital of the world" Just past the little city is a fish processing plant and there where so many eagles hanging around that I couldn't count them! One tree had maybe 15 of them sitting there just waiting to be photographed. With the Sigma 800 I couldn't get the whole tree in the picture just parts!. The shooting conditions where not that good: glaring very sharp light, low hanging clouds, and shooting against the light sky. I have had to work these pictures pretty hard in NC4.2 to get anything at all....

So to the pictures:
    Here is Rory with his D2H and the mighty 500 F4 AF-s
    And now to the eagles
    View attachment 5664
    View attachment 5665
    View attachment 5666
    View attachment 5667
    View attachment 5668

I hope to go back there a sunny day, with much better light conditions and the D2X soon!

If you want to see some more they are at
    www.pbase.com/andreasb/birds

Once again thanks to Rory for showing me this amazing place, it's nice to have someone to shoot with here on Vancouver Island!

2. I have never seen that many bald eagles in one place. On the Kenai Peninsula the local Alaskans call them black trash birds. I guess they have taken the balds for granted. Very majestic birds, IMHO.

3. Hi Andreas - not a bad spot eh. It was tough for me to compete with 800mm :cry: I will add one of mine...

Here is another eagle I took this morning on the beach below my house.

View attachment 5670

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Andreas,

You did a great job on these shots. I have had to deal with similar conditions and while is is a little frustrating, you have to take what you are dealt. These shots are a good example of what can be achieved when you care about what you are doing, and do it well. :wink:

Regards,

Frank

5. Not only that

It's hard to compete against the Wimberley as well. Thank you again for showing me this spot I think we are going to have alot of fun shooting birds over the years

andreas

6. Thank you!

I appreciate the kind words, I have a lot to learn, hope to get better light next time

andreas

7. t was like being in a..

Candy Store for sure, amazing animals.

andreas

8. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    The conditions may have been tough Andreas, but you've done a fine job of bringing out the best in your subjects. Well done.

Neil

9. You have come through like the champ you are. Good series of shots in tough conditions.