Eagles with the 200-400 AFS

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Pal Brenne, Nov 25, 2005.

1. I just found this nice website, so why not share some photos taken from a small boat in Norway

in this situation it was very nice to have VR

[​IMG]

the zoom function was also very helpful as the birds actually got closer than expected. [​IMG]

I find the lens very useful for nature photo.

Pal

2. Excellent shots Pal! Keep them coming...

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    terrific

4. Whoa! Welcome about mate!

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Welcome Aboard Pal!

What a great entrance! Love them all , but I especially love the 2nd shot! Please keep them coming!

6. Fantastic great persective

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow and a Big Welcome.

Boy we would kill for those shots :>))

More More More !!!!!

8. Fantastic shots. Out of curiousity, why the need for VR on these action shots?

9. That 2nd shot is absolutely killer!!! All beautiful!!

10. I am in awe. Amazing stuff. I would be happy with any one of them.

11. Well done Pal, a lot of members here at Nikon Cafe are considering this lens...did you use it with a teleconverter?

My favorite is #2, but they are all great...

12. These are just great! I have not seen any shots of eagles from Scandinavia before and these are just awesome. BTW the race of eagles are called Kungs-Örn in Swedish (Kings Eagle translated) is the name the similar "på Norsk"?

For anyone who have tried shooting them in flight on has to appreciate how difficult this is to catch and freeze like this, nice work. could you post some settings that you use with the 200-400?

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Pal, welcome to the Cafe!! Certainly some excellent introduction shots. :smile:

I'd like to see more. :wink:

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Really nice shots of an Eagle in action, very cool and well done !

15. Thank you for your welcome and nice feed back .

- actually these shots are 200 and 220 mm ( the 1 and 3 are cropped the 2 shot just cropped on top) setting from 250-320 -500 ISO and 1/650- 1/1000 sek.
    - the eagles are called havørn in Norwegian ( Sea Eagles?) Kungs ørn - konge ørn is a different specie.

The VR was actually a mixed blessing on this trip. Some photos ( not these) were impossible without, and some were destroyed because the lens jumped a little and cropped the eaglewings or legs. I got so close at some eagles that in ordre not to clip the wings I needed to zoom out to about 200mm . I am very glad I didnt have a fixed 3 or 500 where I was in the boat, I would have cropped the birds ( if I had been able to follow them in the frame at all).

Pål

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pal,

The reasons that you have given are exactly the reasons that the 200-400VR is at the top of my list for my next lens. I have (and love) the 300 2.8, and I usually shoot with the 1.4 TC, but sometimes the blasted birds fly by so close that I end up clipping a wingtip or two. :rolleyes:

Maybe next year. :tongue:

17. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Pal,

Superb!

18. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Welcome, Pal,

What a treat to have your eagle shots. Wonderful! and a big WELCOME to you. Were these handheld? Good job however you got them.

Gaye

19. all handheld in a small boat (about 16 feet long)

Pål

20. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    Outstanding work Pal. The second shot, wow, it is absolutely fantastic!