Ealges in the Oyster beds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Jul 21, 2008.

1. When the tide goes out in Puget Sound the action typically begins if you know where to find it. And Bill Dewey had the right read on it this past Saturday morning. Seabeck is a small community over on the Olympic Peninsula and when the tide goes out there it exposes the oyster beds. As the tide goes out it forms little pools of water among the oyster beds which fish and sculpins become trapped in.
    Living on the Seattle side of the sound, Bill took the early morning ferry over and picked up Gale and I drove around through Tacoma, which is about an hour and half drive.
    So the morning gathering had Bill, Gale, Morrie Carter and myself all setup waiting for the tide to continue outward and the eagles to start coming in. It wasn’t long and the action began, with eagles chasing one another and fighting over fish, with the GBH’s keeping out of their way and doing OK themselves; even had a Kingfisher hover over the oyster beds a couple times.

Here's one of the many sequences I shot on Saturday.

original.gif

View attachment 225390

View attachment 225391

View attachment 225392

The eagle has the fish/sculpin in its beak and is transferring it to its talons mid air.
    View attachment 225393

View attachment 225394

View attachment 225395

Louie

2. Always a treat to see your eagle posts Louie.

Looks like you guys have a lot of fun there and again, I'm tempted to fly down but there are two other projects on the go so I'll miss out on the fun for now.

Great shooting.

3. wonderful shots Louie, you really have captured the mood of the scene here, excellent.

4. Louie, these are wonderful images. I really think the softer light works well for these on the oyster beds. When the sun is bright, there is little contrast between the bird and the oyster beds. The eagles really stand out here. Great job, the D3 in your hands really shows off your talent my friend. Wish I could have been there with you.

5. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Wonderful series. Your shots are great. Thanks for sharing.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    More and more, stop it, getting jealous!

Are these pretty good sized crops from the D3?

Well done

Wade

7. Thanks Mao. This morning was fun from all stand points. Getting a few shots in while out having a good times with friends is just frosting on the cake.

Thanks Raymond, I appreciate it.

HI Jim and thanks very much. The light was pretty bad for most of the morning's shoot, it became sunny about the time I had to leave, but by then the tide was way out the eagles were out there too.

Thanks Art.

Thanks Wade. I actually shot most of these with the D300 but a few with the D3. They were quite a ways out so I reverted back to the D300 for a few shots. Love the D3 though.

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    opening your posts is like opening a national geographic mag Louie

9. Louis, for some reason your images aren't showing for me.

10. Thanks Randy for your generous comments.

Don't know what to say here Ron about your not being able to see them. BTW, where have you been, haven't seen much of you for quite some time now.

Louie

11. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    Wonderful,wonderful, wonderful! I love opening your posts, they are always such a pleasure to look at.

12. I just love the stop action power of these images, Super series !

13. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Nice series, Louie! Looks like the Eagle had an easy lunch. I love #1, the blur background really makes the eagle "pop"!

Looks like next time I visit the West Coast I should pay Puget Sound a visit! So you might find me knocking at your door soon!

14. Another good series, Louie. Keep after those eagles!

15. I see them now Louis. I've been around, was in Italy for a month during the best part of our bird season, it's been raining ever since I got home. I am dying to get out. Hopefully, I'll get out next week. Outstanding shots by the way.

16. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Awesome series Louie

17. Hi Jessie, thanks for such kind words. You have been posting some outstanding stuff from Viera, wish I were there about now things are kind of winding down a bit around here.

Thanks Andreas. You've got to come down and do some shooting over there before it's too late.

Thanks Tim. For sure give me a call when you get anywhere around the neck of the woods.

Thanks David, I will until they quit showing up.

Sounds like a great trip, I've been there once and it was fantastic for sure.

Thanks Jimmy.

18. Louie absolutely AWESOME man!!!!!!! What a great opportunity!! I really, really like #2.

All the best
    Nancy