Early AM Killdeer

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Apr 20, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    These images were all processed in Raw Magick Lite...

On the Nest...

original.

Trying to distract me...
    View attachment 7646

A slightly different reflection than posted previously:

original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Boy you really find some great stuff Jim. Great shots.

Third on my screen shows a bit of over sharpen Halo.

But may be the internet. Photos against blue are tough.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hiya Gale

I just checked my original processed jpeg and there is no halo at all. I'm guessing that it's a pbase kinda thing.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

Nice shots. So how do you like the RM workflow and results compared to NC and PS?

Frank

5. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots, Jim!

6. Beautifully photographed and processed images. Killdeer's are beautiful birds.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank...

It depends entirely on the image.

I actually find RM now very simple to use. It kinda clicked in my head all of a sudden...srot of like when I finally figured out in 9th grade what happens when you multiply two negative numbers!

Anyway...I have taken specific images and processed them in both. Overall, I've got to say that the RM images come out looking somehow "cleaner", although I can't tell you exactly what it is that makes it look different.

I am not seeing any differences between capture and RM in regards to color...simply because the D2X shots seem so perfectly balanced most of the time..that there isn't anything to balance?

The one big difference is the time involved to use the sharpening and noise reduction in RM. It takes a while to apply both of those as the program goes through it's computations. Iliah and Peter are improving upon the speed issue relative to plug ins in one of the upcoming versions.

Now...when you save as a fully rendered, full sized tiff......it takes a while...probably 3 minutes? You can do an instant save to your hard drive which is very fast, but you're not getting the applications processing fully applied if you do so.

In a nutshell.....I'm going to play with it intensely for a while and learn the nuances. I think that especially for images which I'm going to print, I am going to use RM from this point forward and also print some direct comparison prints to see what happens.

Have I thoroughly confused you yet???

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Frank...

Jim,

Not at all. Like many, I have a love / hate relationship with NC. I hate the memory management and the amount of time it takes to load and save images, but to me, it is the best thing going for processing Nikon RAW files. I bought Bibble, but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get a decent image out of it. This is not a critique of Bibble necessarily. It's just that I know NC very well, and the user interface for Bibble didn't click with me right away. Probably my fault.

If you are like me, the time it takes to process all of the shots we get is very critical. Of course, the final results are just as important. Right now, I can process a shot for web viewing in NC in less than 30 seconds, and do the final cropping, sizing, and frame and sig in PS CS in about the same time. Any alternative work flow will have to beat these numbers for me to adopt.

Thanks for responding.

Frank

PS - Where's my stuff?? :twisted:

9. Love these shots, captured the bird's mood very well.