Early Autumn in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts (11 pics)

I've been participating over in the Octoberfest Meme this month, and since I live in a rather attractive part of Western New England, a fair number of my shots fall under the category of "landscapes and architecture". I particularly love New England architecture, which is why you'll see some here.

These were all shot with either a 35/2 or 85/1.8 (sometimes with telextenders) per the rules of the Octoberfest meme.

#1 Farmhouse - Loudenville Road, Easthampton, MA - 1/320s f/8.0 at 35.0mm isos200

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 - Pretty until you have to rake..... - Taken with the 85mm at 1/5000s f/2.2 iso200

original.jpg

#3 Restored Center Hall Colonical - Route 66 - Westhampton, MA - 1/60s f/13.0 at 35.0mm iso200

original.jpg

#4 First Lutheran Church of Holyoke - Route 5 - Holyoke, MA - 1/400s f/5.6 at 35.0mm iso200

original.jpg

#5 Civil War Memorial - Town Common - South Hadley, MA - 1/160s f/8.0 at 35.0mm iso200

original.jpg

#6 Scarlet red in the rising sun - Holy Cross Chapel, Holyoke MA (1/320s f/5.6 at 35.0mm iso200)

original.jpg

#7 Connecticut River with Mt. Tom in background - 1/125s f/16.0 at 35.0mm iso200

original.jpg

#8 The up-river view - 1/125s f/16.0 at 35.0mm iso200

original.jpg

#9 Heavenwards - 1/160s f/16.0 at 35.0mm iso200

original.jpg

#10 Ripples and reflections - 1/200s f/8.0 at 85.0mm iso640

original.jpg

#11 Approach to Center Hall Colonial - 1/60s f/14.0 at 35.0mm iso200

original.jpg

This weekend should be peak color and I hope to be able to post more in another week or so. Hope you enjoy.

I always welcome comments and critiques. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry, you have some beautiful photos there. Just a comment on number 7. We here in Washington call your Mt Tom a mole hill,lol

Thanks, John. I appreciate your comment.

Mt. Tom IS a molehill....particularly when you consider that 50 miles to our North we have 4000ft peaks. The mountain is well known, however, since 1) it is visible from I-91, the main N-S route from CT and NYC into Vermont and New Hampshire, 2) it for years had a well regarded "day-trip" ski area on its slopes, and 3) in the mid-late 1800's it and neighboring Mt. Holyoke had three fabulously well known "fashionable resorts" on its ridgeline, with views extending from the VT/NH line down to Hartford, CT. So we consider it "our" mountain, molehill though we all know it to be. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pictures.I wish I had scenes like this to photograph.

I see you are from Alabama. Come North some fall....it's a long drive, but worth it. Pictures, good as they are, can't begin to describe how it feels to be surrounded by it.

Harry....Beautiful!!

Thanks, Steve. I'm pretty pleased with them...I think my skill as a photographer is finally getting to the level where I can do autumn some justice. Appreciate your comment.

Very Nice

Very nice as always, Harry. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.
I noticed from the exif that you are shooting from early morning to late afternoon. Practice does make perfect.

Dave

Very nice as always, Harry. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.
I noticed from the exif that you are shooting from early morning to late afternoon. Practice does make perfect.

Dave

Thanks, Dave....glad you liked them. Yes, I usually shoot early morning or late afternoon as per standard practice, but a lot of these were daytime shots. Unless the sun is too harsh, it seems more important to my shooting these days that I'm in the right mood for what I'm going after, so I don't let daytime sun deter me. And sometimes it is the only time available. But I still prefer classic photographers light when I can get it.

Harry Some nice looking stuff, I was out your way for a few sporting events early last week. Had some great color for cross country, up at Knightsville Dam. Also was in South Hadley for a T&I day. Too bad it was a dreary cloudy day I was planning on getting some nice shots at Quabbin.

Harry Some nice looking stuff, I was out your way for a few sporting events early last week. Had some great color for cross country, up at Knightsville Dam. Also was in South Hadley for a T&I day. Too bad it was a dreary cloudy day I was planning on getting some nice shots at Quabbin.

Aw, that's too bad Geoff, as that was really the only bad day we had all week. Sorry. But if you had a good day for the meet a day earlier, if I recall that was a pretty nice day. It sure is beautiful here near peak season.

Latest threads

Top Bottom