Early bird Special

Had about 20 mins free and was near the wetlands so I stopped in to see what was happeneing. Pretty harsh light, and quiet.

I drove around to find something I could work with and came upon a heron having a wild struggle with a turtle.

The best 3:

This guy was dropped twice..he put up a heck of a fight!
37784842-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now the heron gets him back and mr. turtle withdraws to his shell...the heron flips him..(of course he does..everybody knows herons like their turtles over easy :wink: )

37784750-L.jpg

Since it was 4:30pm, and Florida...
This can be known as an earlybird special

Yum
37784624-L.jpg

Outstanding catch Trish!! Now I have to throw my GBH / Turtle shots away. Yours is way better, and you got an RR flip. :Depressed

Wonderful shot and great catch (no pun here) :>))..

I am with Flew, gotta throw mine away to :<(

Harry,

Was pretty funny to watch that heron struggle to hold onto the turtle!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! What is it about birds in the USA that let you get close enough to take pictures like that? - here in the UK the nearest a heron or little egret will let you approach is about 30 yards - they even steer clear of fixed hides (blinds I believe you call them in the States) - thousands of years of persecution I suppose.

R

Robin Horlock

I bet that shell will be tough to pass!

Great shots

Cheers,
Robin

Flew said:
Outstanding catch Trish!! Now I have to throw my GBH / Turtle shots away. Yours is way better, and you got an RR flip. :Depressed
Frank,

I lucked out..light was right, heron was right along the shore. I was about maybe 5-6 ft away. He already had the turtle, so he wasn't distracted at all by me..that turtle put up one hell of a fight...

Gale said:
Wonderful shot and great catch (no pun here) :>))..

I am with Flew, gotta throw mine away to :<(

Gale,

I have been trying to capture a RR flp since I learned about them from Harry.
One issue at the WL is I notice when I am the only one there I get better opportunity for shots. Birds aren't spooked.

Dave Rosser said:
Wow!! What is it about birds in the USA that let you get close enough to take pictures like that? - here in the UK the nearest a heron or little egret will let you approach is about 30 yards - they even steer clear of fixed hides (blinds I believe you call them in the States) - thousands of years of persecution I suppose.

Hi Dave,

If the herons are feeding, they don't care who is close by. I have spent quite a bit of time observing their behavior...and sometimes you just get lucky.. :wink:

Backdoctor said:
great series Trish! You nailed the flip, welcome to the club.

How come Harry didnt get any of these? He's the retired one! :rolleyes:

Thanks Harris! Glad to be a member in the RR Flip Club!

(I think old man harry was home napping :wink: )

Latest threads

Top Bottom