Early December and SW question

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Allan, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I got a lot into the subject line.

I am retiring in less than 2 weeks and have a free ticket on Southwest Airlines which I must use before the end of the year. I am thinking that right after Thanksgiving would be a good time for me to travel. I can go close to anyplace SW flies. I like to shoot birds.

I have a 500 lens with a 1.4 tc along with shorter lenses.

Here is a link to where Southwest flies.

I am open to suggestions.:confused:

2. bill t

bill t Guest

At that time of year I would recommend Bosque. You would fly into Albuquerque.

Prime time is about mid November on. The Festival of cranes kicks things off there. Search the web for Friends of Bosque for more info. The later you go the farther back in the field the birds will be.

Bill

3. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    December in Florida is beautiful! Sanibel Island/Captiva/Everglades/Ding Darling, etc. I'm not sure if the migrants have arrived by that time for the winter vacation. And the weather doesn't get any better than that either.

Ding Darling NWR is a birder's paradise. Every 5' tall bird you can imagine (herons, egrets, spoonbills, etc.) are all hanging out. Ospreys are thick in the air. There's a berm built through the refuge to control water flow, so you can set up your tripod on the side of the 'road' and the birds come to you. The white pelicans gather in groups and 'herd' fish in the shallows. It's beautiful and stunning and amazing. The birders are all there with their mega scopes from all around the US and some of them do some digiscoping. Had some fun there a couple of years ago with some hooded mergansers. There are tweet birds in the mangroves and wooded areas. Great Florida Birding Trail runs close through the mainland there, I believe.

Racoons and armadillos are an added bonus.

Beaches are also gorgeous and there is kayakking and canoeing available. There are some cute little cabins I usually stay at with screened porches and kitchenettes; I could get the name of those if you needed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007