Early Morning in Monument Valley

This is another shot from my amazing morning in Monument Valley.

77081525.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The guides take everyone to the Totem Pole, but I don't think usually to the area where I took this shot because mine where the first footprints.

Mike

Q

qwest4light

Super shot

Mike Z, Great colors and contrast. Picture perfect I would say, thanks for sharing.

WOW love the colors. looks like it came right out of a calendar or a book. awesome shot.

Beautiful shot Mike, I love the ripples in the sand, and the warm sidelight on the rock formations. Sky is maybe a touch over-polarized given the wide angle of view, but that's really nitpicking. This is definitely a shot worthy of hanging on the wall.

Great shot, Mike - you've captured the textures of the sand really well and the color is great. I would try adding a gradient layer to the top to even out the polarizer effect, but other than that you've nailed it.

Sean

R

RForshey

The totem pole is a tough area to shoot and make look good. You got it right Mike, nice job!

What a great shot in every way. I've traveled near the Monument Vally, but never close enough to get any shots. After seeing this, I am so envious.

Thanks to everyone for your very nice comments.

Things were happening very fast when I took the shot and I don't even remember if I had a polarizer in place, because I had been shooting before the sun broke over the cloud bank and just continued. If I did have it on, I was moving too fast to adjust it for each shot and shooting as fast as I could because it was such a magical moment and I was bracketing.

The lighting was as dramatic as you see in the photo. I've only done a slight levels adjustment on the high end and a small amount of USM to avoid halos on the rock formation. The vision that remained in my mind as I was walking back to our truck was how the bushes were lit up as by spot lights.

Much to the D200's credit, the best shots in each bracketing series were the first ones (the initial reading).

Mike

A wall hanger for sure Mike! Amazing shot indeed. Looking forward to meeting you June 3rd at the barbecue with PhilK.

Sharon, David, Gordon, Torben, SJ and Robert,
Thank you all for your nice comments. Several months ago we had a survey in which we described ourselves. I said that I was an amateur who every once in a while takes a nice shot. I think, based upon the comments I've received on this photo, this must be mine.
Thanks again,
Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom