1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Early morning owl...and tech question

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobbyv, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Shot this guy in very low light, just at sunrise in thick woods with big oaks overhead. Definately seems "hazy" especially at his tail. Shot with a D-60, 70-300 VR. I later checked, auto setting, no flash. About 40 % cropped btw. Any suggestions for settings when I see him again in the same place? (He's there often.)

0731e.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. RichA_CT

RichA_CT

May 24, 2006
    Connecticut
    Nice catch --- You can fix the hazy look by adjusting the contrast or using the blacks slider.

3. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Just sitting in a tree like that you could lower the shutter speed, no need for 1/320th, that would allow you to lower the ISO which should help you get a sharper photo. I would also go to 300mm on my 70-300 an not have to crop as much.

Even so, nice capture, he looks like he's grumpy in the morning. :) 

4. Setting the "black point" will definitely help.

Mike

5. As stated you might try fixing this in post. It looks like it will have some nice color to it once you adjust the black point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.