Early spring in southeast Idaho

We are just coming out of winter here. It's still cold. My friend says we are on the 109th day of January. But we braved the chilly weather and went out for a little hike last night. The south facing slope of this mountain is free of snow now. The view of the valley is so pretty from the viewpoints on this trail. This is probably about 20 miles from where we live. The river is the South Fork of the Snake River. The ski hill is about 5 miles from where we hiked. My husband does ski patrol there so we had to drive by it to see how much snow is still there. The first two photos were only a few minutes apart. It's so interesting how quickly the colors change once the sun goes down. Give us a month and it will be glorious here!!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ken St John
Simple, yet stunning. I'm afraid we're in a rain pattern for the next few days on the wet side of the mountains. I'm envious of your beautiful setting!!

The shot of the barn and old truck seems a strong candidate for a B&W shot ....

Cheers!!

Ken

Spring is slow coming here too. Farmers are 2-3 weeks late in spring seeding as it's too wet and the ground too cold to seed. South fork of the Snake is one of my favorite views in Idaho--every season is so different and good. Never been to Kelly, but then I don't ski. We've got a wet week ahead, but next Friday "they" are promising 68 degrees . . .

Spring is slow coming here too. Farmers are 2-3 weeks late in spring seeding as it's too wet and the ground too cold to seed. South fork of the Snake is one of my favorite views in Idaho--every season is so different and good. Never been to Kelly, but then I don't ski. We've got a wet week ahead, but next Friday "they" are promising 68 degrees . . .
I would love 68 degrees!! It's 42 here today. BRRRR..... My brother in law is a farmer in your area. They are very frustrated they can't get in the fields. My mother in laws 98th birthday is on May 4, but we are postponing her birthday celebration until my brother in law can get here. The South Fork is beautiful for sure!!

Simple, yet stunning. I'm afraid we're in a rain pattern for the next few days on the wet side of the mountains. I'm envious of your beautiful setting!!

Cheers!!

Ken
I'll have to try it. I don't do B&W often, but I think you have a great point!!

Cheers!!

Ken
Ok. Ken. I'm a novice at B&W, but here is my attempt. I would love critique.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
Ok. Ken. I'm a novice and B&W, but here is my attempt. I would love critique.
View attachment 1636236
Actually that is quite stunning!!

Think of that blown up on a wall with a simple white border and a thin black frame.

My only comment is the horizon looks just a tad off to me. Try straightening based on the bottom of the tree line on the far right. Not much. Just a tad!!

But, well done!!!

Ken

Hi Terri.I especially like the first two images. I would crop about half of the FG rocks in #2 if the image was mine, as the FG rocks compete with the river.

I commented on your B&W image in the other thread already.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom