Early wildflowers in Southern Appalachians

Our earliest wildflowers are just beginning to peek through the leaf duff on the first floor.

Hepatica

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Trout Lily

Nice set of images Jim.
Many of these will be gone once the trees leaf out and sun light no longer reaches the forest floor. I will be heading back into the woods Wednesday or Thursday each week up to the first of May trying to follow the bloom of these early forest floor flowers.

They are so beautiful, Jim! They are a sure sign that spring is here!
Thanks, Lyndee. It's been slow coming.

Nice set Jim. So it’s getting warmer.
Thanks, Phil. Yes, very gradually it's getting warmer.

These are beautiful Jim, especially set against the dry brown leaves.
Thanks, Walter.

Nice group of images. I am going back home to NH this weekend - I need reminders that winter is over.
Thanks, Allan. I'm sure winter is not totally over in NH. :(

Nice set of images Jim.
Many of these will be gone once the trees leaf out and sun light no longer reaches the forest floor. I will be heading back into the woods Wednesday or Thursday each week up to the first of May trying to follow the bloom of these early forest floor flowers.
Yep, that's why they are called ephemerals! ;)

Thanks, Roy.

These photos were an experiment using a very lightweight combo: D5500 + 70-300 AF-P DX. The pictures are not as sharp as I get with my macro lenses, but it sure is a light, pleasant, package to carry on long hikes in the woods. And the results aren't too bad.

Last edited:
Real Name
Mike
Beautiful as always! Everything is a bit confused in my area. Some places are ahead of the season, others behind.

Like Bob and Hanusia's Ukranian Easter Eggs your early wildflowers are a sign of impending spring--and I look forward to them every year. Nicely done!
Thanks, Nick. There should be many more later.

And perhaps some more exotic ones: we're going on a week-long wildflower jaunt in the Gargano Peninsula of Italy later in April.

Nice series Jim! New life!
Thanks, Dossy. We always enjoy finding these.

Beautiful as always! Everything is a bit confused in my area. Some places are ahead of the season, others behind.
Thanks, Mike. Mostly behind here.

These are so pretty, Jim! I love that trout lily. What lens did you use for these?
Thanks, Terri. Perhaps you didn't see my post above:
These photos were an experiment using a very lightweight combo: D5500 + 70-300 AF-P DX. The pictures are not as sharp as I get with my macro lenses, but it sure is a light, pleasant, package to carry on long hikes in the woods. And the results aren't too bad.

Thanks, Nick. There should be many more later.

And perhaps some more exotic ones: we're going on a week-long wildflower jaunt in the Gargano Peninsula of Italy later in April.

Thanks, Dossy. We always enjoy finding these.

Thanks, Mike. Mostly behind here.

Thanks, Terri. Perhaps you didn't see my post above:
I got that 70-300 for DX. I will definitely try it out for wildflowers!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom