Earthquake

On March 31, there was a very large 6.5 earthquake in central Idaho. We were vacationing in the area this week. We heard that there was some earthquake damage at a lake nearby called Stanley Lake. There was a very popular campground and beach area at Stanley Lake that was totally destroyed by the earthquake. We had to explore the damage. When the quake happened people didn't even know about the damage. It was discovered in May when the ice melted off the lake. We visited with some folks there who were heartbroken about the damage. They said that they had camped there and played at that beach every year for more than 20 years. Evidently the lake caused the sandy soil of the beach and campground to just slide into the lake. It's such a blessing that the big earthquake didn't happen in the summer. Friday night, August 7, we felt another earthquake. Ended up being a 4.2 aftershock. It caused considerable damage to a popular rock climbing area.

News report on August 7 earthquake damage

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Friday before the aftershock, I had Greg take me out in the boat at Redfish Lake, where we were camping, to see some damage that happened on that lake. You can see the small people by the orange canoe to get some idea of the scale of the rock slide here. There are trees that fell on this slide in the water and on the beaches.

To put that rock slide in context, though, it didn't cause that much damage. Here is a photo of the lake and the small while dot along the shore at about the center of the photo is the rock slide.

Thanks for this, Terri. Local news, and even Spokane didn't carry it. Boise Statesman did, but I could't read the article, only the headline. As my geologist friends always remind me, change is the only constant when you are dealing with geology.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for this, Terri. Local news, and even Spokane didn't carry it. Boise Statesman did, but I could't read the article, only the headline. As my geologist friends always remind me, change is the only constant when you are dealing with geology.
I thought you might be interested in it.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Interesting set of pictures. 6.5 is a serious quake.

Better it happened in winter and that nobody got hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting set of pictures. 6.5 is a serious quake.

Better it happened in winter and that nobody got hurt.
I agree. If it happened now, with all the people who visit there, it would be a tragedy. PS some of the largest earthquakes in the lower 48 states have happened in my state and neighboring area.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom