1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Earthroamer XV

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Pa, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ...captured at Thompson Pass near Valdez, Alaska, a couple of weeks ago.

342124768_ica8Z-O.
    NIKON D40    ---    95mm    f/9.0    1/500s    ISO 400

This is the perfect photographic vehicle. In fact, it was invented and developed by a photographer who wanted to be able to stay on site waiting for the best light in remote locations.

You can learn more here. It is totally independent and requires no hookups, and can go "anywhere". c.a. $200k.

Quote from the website:

The EarthRoamer XV-LT is designed for 2 plus 2 (two adults and two children) camping for extended periods. Equipped with up to 90 gallons of diesel fuel and 85 gallons of fresh water, you can travel as far as you like and stay as long as you want in complete comfort. The XV-LT is your own luxury condo on the move with granite counters, convection microwave, air-conditioning, king-size bed and an enclosed shower/bathroom. Based on the Ford Super Duty F-550 four-wheel drive cab chassis, there is brawn to accompany the beauty. With a 17,950 pound gross vehicle weight rating and 10,000 pound towing capability, you can bring all your toys with you.

There were several posts about this on the Cafe back in '06.

2. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    :910::910:I want one

3. Is this the ultimate photo accessory or what?? And at prices starting as low as $200,000. What a deal....

4. It's quite the "home away from home." Did you see inside, Jim?

5. No I didn't, David. I didn't notice the vehicle until we were driving out of the highway pull-off, and just grabbed Beth's camera for a quick snapshot out of our vehicle window.

You can see detailed pictures of the interior at the website linked above. The photographer who developed it has detailed logs of his trips on the White Rim trail in Utah and to and through Alaska in early prototypes.

Linked from the earthroamer web site:

[​IMG]

6. p.s. ...anyone interested in a timeshare scheme?

7. Comes with a "free" D3 I'm sure!!!! :biggrin:

8. I'm sure it is, Jim, but I doubt that it offers the features of the Earthroamer. But it probably doesn't cost $200k either :eek: .

9. Unfortunately, the inventor (and owner of the company?) shoots Canon.

10. Let's see 90 gallons at $4.60/gal = $414/fill-up! What's the cost of water?

11. ...an undeniable downside. However, if you can comfortably pony up $200k to buy the beast, then you shouldn't be worried about the fuel cost.

It has a built-in water filter and pump so you can draw water from a stream to fill the water tank.

12. Shoots Canon AND drives a Ford? Talk about a double-whammy... :tongue:

13. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    :biggrin::biggrin:

14. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    That's some truck! Last summer I ran into a couple from BC who had a custom made motor home that was specifically made for a photographer who had Lyme disease and was unable to walk much anymore. You can see a few photos of this remarkable vehicle at their web page: http://www.steelwheels4x4.com/steelwheels4x4/index.html

15. rrx3

rrx3

Jun 14, 2008
    Wiltshire, UK
    Nice looking, but I think I'll stick with my Range Rover (on LPG), my wife and a double sleeping bag, and get some fast glass! :) 

16. that is one awesome looking vehicle
    nice picture, too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.