Earthroamer XV

...captured at Thompson Pass near Valdez, Alaska, a couple of weeks ago.

342124768_ica8Z-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the perfect photographic vehicle. In fact, it was invented and developed by a photographer who wanted to be able to stay on site waiting for the best light in remote locations.

You can learn more here. It is totally independent and requires no hookups, and can go "anywhere". c.a. $200k.

Quote from the website:

The EarthRoamer XV-LT is designed for 2 plus 2 (two adults and two children) camping for extended periods. Equipped with up to 90 gallons of diesel fuel and 85 gallons of fresh water, you can travel as far as you like and stay as long as you want in complete comfort. The XV-LT is your own luxury condo on the move with granite counters, convection microwave, air-conditioning, king-size bed and an enclosed shower/bathroom. Based on the Ford Super Duty F-550 four-wheel drive cab chassis, there is brawn to accompany the beauty. With a 17,950 pound gross vehicle weight rating and 10,000 pound towing capability, you can bring all your toys with you.

There were several posts about this on the Cafe back in '06.

It's quite the "home away from home." Did you see inside, Jim?

No I didn't, David. I didn't notice the vehicle until we were driving out of the highway pull-off, and just grabbed Beth's camera for a quick snapshot out of our vehicle window.

You can see detailed pictures of the interior at the website linked above. The photographer who developed it has detailed logs of his trips on the White Rim trail in Utah and to and through Alaska in early prototypes.

Linked from the earthroamer web site:

08_09_4330_std.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Let's see 90 gallons at $4.60/gal = $414/fill-up! What's the cost of water?

...an undeniable downside. However, if you can comfortably pony up $200k to buy the beast, then you shouldn't be worried about the fuel cost.

It has a built-in water filter and pump so you can draw water from a stream to fill the water tank.

Nice looking, but I think I'll stick with my Range Rover (on LPG), my wife and a double sleeping bag, and get some fast glass! :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom