Easiest way to get IR sensativity...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by mr2monster, Jun 30, 2007.

1. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    I've got a pretty good idea that I'd like to pursue but I need my camera to be sensitive to IR light. Is there a way to accomplish this without a significant overhaul of the sensor system?

I'd like to be able to take out some IR lights and photograph Night time Wildlife and I want more control over my photos than my Sony handicam camcorder can offer me. hehe. I think there is definitely potential in the idea if i can work out the kinks.

2. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    Also, has anyone ever done night time IR wildlife photography?

I saw Planet Earth on Discovery and that's how they shot the lion scene when the pride of 30 lions attacked the elephant. That's what started me thinking on the idea.

3. feilb

feilb

Jul 11, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    All non-IR modified cameras include an IR filter as part of the sensor. However, these cameras are still somewhat IR sensitive (like 1s exposure at f/2.8 in the bright sun), hardly enough for night wildlife photography however.

One thing to keep in mind is that while your camera sensor can see IR (much better if it is modified), your eye cannot, so unless you are using a camera with an EVF, or live preview, you will not be able to see what you are shooting!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi James! IR converted cameras are somewhat more sensitive than unconverted cameras shot under natural light at night. They are quite a bit more sensitive under flash or incandescent light. However the most nighttime sensitivity would be achieved by removal of the ir cut filter from the front of the camera without replacing it with a visible light cutting filter.

If you visit Bjørn Rørslett's website, he (as well as other photographers) have done this.

Interestingly, Canon has produced such a camera for astrophotographic work based on thier 20D camera.

5. :eek::eek::eek:They have elepahants and lions in AZ!

6. Fuji makes a UV-IR camers too, based on their S3 body.

Lifepixel can do a conversion for you and they also provide instructions for the DIYer. www.lifepixel.com

7. Gnome

Gnome

Mar 6, 2007
    Born in Europe
    Coolpix 900 900s or 950 (maybe later models too but I've not used them) are all excellent at IR work, unmodified, and can easily be mounted to scopes to gain focal length.

8. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I'm using an unmodified Coolpix 8800 with a Singh-Ray I-Ray filter with great results. The LCD, when hooded, provides accurate real-time rendition of the ultimate image. However, all of my shots are taken in bright, sunny light, and even then I use a shutter speed of 4 seconds and more with an mid-point aperture of f/4.

You'd probably have to use the Bulb setting for night-time images.

9. One of the real benefits of conversion of a DSLR is being able to handhold nearly every shot.