Easily my best portrait so far

Discussion in 'People' started by obelix, Mar 20, 2005.

1. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Apologies to those who have seen it before :)

My niece, Krithika, in my ancestoral home, back in India, August 2004.

This photograph was masterfully retouched by nowhereatoll [trying to get him here :)]. Many thanks to him.

[​IMG]

2. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'd have to agree with you to an extent. This is a great portrait (was it a candid?) but some of your most recent studio work has been really good. Don't sell yourself short :D

My one question. When you say "masterfully retouched by nowhereatoll" what was done? Could you post your original attempt so we can see how much it was improved & maybe pick up a few pointers?

Dave

3. Great shot!! :) :) :)

4. It is an absolutely lovely portrait of on inigmatic child. The eyes are captivating. Since you asked for critique I will just mention that the inside of the hand, especially on those with a darker skin, is oft times lighter as it is here. Because it is lighter it fights for attention with the outstanding image of the child. If it were darkened slightly it woud improve the image (IMHO).

5. Anand,

What a lovely portrait of your niece! She's got incredible eyes: she looks so alive! 8)

I too would like to know what nowhereatoll has done to the original... :p

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent. The eyes have it for sure.

Regards
    Gale

7. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Dave. I will dig the original photo and post it. Did you see the background? Sahana was in the background in the original photo :).

Kerry [NWA] selected my niece very well and used the colors from her skirt and simulated the background OOF areas.

This was shot with the kit lens at its sweet spot, about 60mm or so, 1 stop down from wide open with some not so pleasing background.

The original has been safely archived in a DVD, which I have to dig.

This photo was in a series of about 30 exposures I had with her. Her front two teeth had fallen recently and she refused to open her mouth :). So, I was working with her and got this one. Eventually, she did open her mouth :). I have that photo too somewhere, will dig that one too.

8. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Bryan :)

9. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Ah, you are absolutely right. [And I verified my palm too :)), it is lighter].

I will definitely attempt this with my crippled PS skills :).

I appreciate your comment. This definitely helps.

10. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Phillipe, Gale

Will post the original photo, once I find it :)

11. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    The original photo

[​IMG]

and the photo I was working towards:

[​IMG]

12. That's an excellent portrait and it was a pleasure to be able to view it. Thanks

13. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks again, Peter.

14. Wow haven't seen that one before. Great lighting and expression, she's a cutie :D

If I had to nitpick though, I think the sharpening around her eyes is overdone - kids shouldn't have wrinkles. Ditto with the hands. And he cheated with his selection because she lost a lot of hair on the left side of her face (her left). Can see where part of her finger had to get cloned back in too. And with regards to the simulate background, it should be extended to below her right ear (the white is distracting).

Again great shot, post more and get on AIM already!

15. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Mike.

Nowhereatoll spent a few minutes on a scaled down version :). I have to do what he did on the original soon.

AIM, hmm.

16. Excellent portrait, very lively eyes. Good idea to replace the background.
    regards

17. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Harry