Eastern and Black Swallowtails in My Butterfly Garden!!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  2. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Superb! Wow! Feeling envy here! :biggrin: Crystall, Your shots are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

3. Hi Crysrall,

These look great......Guess you don't need that 200 Micro after all.

GenoP

4. beautiful butterfly.......I like all three shots, but the best is #2. congrats on your garden. hope to see more great captures.

laurie

5. Thank you Jorge!! My garden is attracting a lot of attention from my neighbors...27 pots on a 12 x 18 foot deck!! LOL!! It smells wonderful and the bees, hummingbirds, finches and butterflies love it!! More to follow...

Nope, I finally decided to make the 70-180 and 105VR my primary macro lenses. I also captured several images with the 300 F4. :wink:

Thank you Laurie. The season is just beginning in Maryland. I should have plenty of swallowtails, monarchs, and painted ladies soon. I am having trouble with my butterfly weed. Next year I am going to plant it on my hill. I don't think it likes my containers. Happily, the butterfly bushes are doing well, and right now they are attracting the most attention. :biggrin:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent captures Crystall. Congrat's on the garden too. :smile:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow they are beautiful
    Pretty flowers to:>))

Maybe I can try next year:>))

8. Having only just recently moved house we are too late to this year to be planting our "wild flower" pots. They will be in place for next year though and we too hope to attract the butterflies.

Lovely shots and such a lovely subject matter too.

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    If all those butterflies in your city knew they'd end up on the Nikon Cafe Forum they'd be swarming your garden.

THese three are the smart ones and they're beauties. Good job getting these, Crystall, and good luck with all the others that will follow.

Thanks for sharing your fun.

10. Looks like Papilio glaucus to me. The Eastern Swallowtail
    Bob F.

11. Beautiful shots Crystall, love all the rich colors. #2 is definitely my favorite, very nice composition!

12. Oh Crystall!:eek::eek:These are just absolutely stunning! Say hang these babies on the biggest wall, make up some pretty note cards for a gift or sale, shoot, I could go wild with this one! I have yet to get a nice photo of a swallowtail! Congratulations on such a beautiful capture AND your gorgeous garden! :biggrin:

13. Cool! Beautiful captures Crystall, and congratulations.

14. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautiful shots. I wish we had that butterfly.

15. Thanks Frank. It was a lot of work, but it is so peaceful!

Ooh yes!! Butterfly farming is very popular in Florida!! You have the right conditions for plenty of nectar and host plants!! :biggrin: The butterfly bushes smell so good, but oddly enough, some areas consider them to be an invasive species. My 'yard' doesn't get enough sun, so my deck was the only option.

Thank you. Container gardening is so much fun and portable. I also have a portable green house (shelves with a zippered plastic cover). I used the green house to start a few plants early before the ground thawed. I also used a lot of seedlings this year instead of seeds and bulbs.

Thanks Gaye. I plan to take a wide angle shot from my second floor window to detail the entire garden. I am having so much fun!! My tomatoes are almost ripe too!!!

Thanks Bob, yes it is an Eastern Swallowtail. I also had a visit from a Black Swallowtail.

Thank you! Gretchen. I used one of your favorite lenses yesterday to capture images of the swallowtail, the 300 F4 is perfect for filling the frame! I also heavily cropped each image. I planted several varieties of nectar plants including beautiful pentas and lantanas, but the butterflies are going for the butterfly bushes. They smell wonderful!!

16. Excellent shots Crystal. Thank you for sharing them.

17. Glad all your efforts are paying off so well for you.

18. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous butterflies! Congrats on the success of your butterfly garden and capturing these beauties. I might have to do like Gale and try my hand at it next year!

Keep up the good work and keep posting great shots like these!

19. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Lovely - great shots - you know summer is here when you see a butterfly.

20. I refuse to speak to you again ...

You have butterflies in your garden.
    I'm jealous :)

excellent stuff, pray do tell more about your butterfly garden eh?
    cheers