1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Eastern Burning Bush

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by husawis, Sep 24, 2008.

1. husawis

husawis Guest

[​IMG]

Another of our medicinal plants growing around the pond showing fruit. This plant was in the National Formulary until 1947. Many uses still remain, and perhaps more to be discovered.

2. jaikdee

jaikdee

Feb 25, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Great shot! Like the focus on the fruit.
    Janet

3. I love the under-lighting. Please tell us more about this plant and its uses, I'm interested.

4. husawis

husawis Guest

Kwe' kwe' Sandi - have not heard from you in a while. This plant is also known as the Eastern Wahoo and was a widely used medicinal plant in former times. In 1947 it was dropped from the US National Formulary - my understanding for this was that no sposor could be found to test its efficacy. As with many of our tribal medicines, all parts of the plant are used with the exception of the fruit. Some avoid the leaves saying they are toxix. but infusions from the leaves are still used. The principle component is found in the root bark. It is a recognized cholagogue and laxitive. It is also know that the root bark has a digitalis-like effect in some cases. I gather the roots shortly after the leaves begins to turn, at about the same time I get sassafras root.

One word of caution there are othe species of Euonymus that are also called Burning Bush, these are not native plants and are invasive. The fruits are different and most people avoid them altogether.

Hope this is helpful.

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Another nice specimen photo. I love the overall lighting with the emphasis on the fruit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.