1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus)

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Argent, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Found this monsterous beauty the other day on the side of the trail - I won't forget the sound of his rattle :) 

kensington249.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. scary snake
    nice shot

3. Hentez

Hentez

Aug 9, 2008
    Columbus OH
    Nice pic, I wouldn't want to get close enough to get the picture!

4. Hehe I wasn't the guy holding the cat tails back so we could see it ;) 

I was about 6 feet away and mostly safe

5. very well done. I see these periodically while backpacking/hiking. They are amazing creatures and should be left alone. I have taken some images of them but none as good as this.

6. Thanks

They are protected by the State of Michigan and under consideration for the Federal endangered species list - so this shot was more about identification and observation than anything else - once I got the shot we left him in peace.

7. To heck with the shot, I would have been backing away & running the other direction in a split second. :eek: 

8. Oh, that sound gives me goose bumps. I've heard it a few times. Good capture of this guy, good thing you had a long lens, these snakes have a pretty decent reach! Be careful!!!

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow. I'm glad I don't have to look for these when I'm out shooting dragonflies.

10. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Nice find! That's a nice looking example of a species that is indeed in trouble.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I remember those from my Michigander childhood.

12. for 'rare' snakes - I've seen quite a few of them this season :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.